Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a rough week for Pickles and me. Wednesday morning I left the side door to his cage open and he decided to crawl out and go see Sammy. Pickles is not tame and won't go near my hand for any reason. So basically I had to grab him to return him to his cage. The first time he bolted and I got a fist full of tail feathers. The second time I got him and in return he bit the fiery snot out of my thumb. I bled badly.

Traditionally Pickles won't eat anything but white millet. But I did learn through a long process he likes tropical fruit nutriberries. This morning when he saw me pick up the container of the nutriberries, he started whistling and getting all flustered. It gave me an idea to try hand feeding him. So I took the nutriberry and put my hand in his cage and after several minutes, he decided he wanted the berry more than he feared my hand. He ate from hand!

I tried it again tonight and the same thing. He was hesitant but came around. For the first time since I brought him home, I have hope that Pickles will some day be tamed and get to roam around with Sammy out of the cage. Maybe even take in a youtube video.

It seems so simple but it's a major break through with Pickles.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
That's not simple, that's wonderful! It helps to remove the food about an hour before you try to give him a treat by hand so he'll be just a little hungry and more motivated to take it too. After you've gotten all the participation he can muster, be sure to put his normal food back in so he can fill up :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
That is a great breakthrough! Congrats :) one step at a time will get you there ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts