Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just got myself a new hand raised tiel named Darcy. He’s probably only 10-12 weeks old I’d guess. The main issue I’m having is he will regularly climb on my shoulder or hand and just growl.... and growl and growl. He’s quickly become fond of my two budgies and seems to stop growling when he’s in their presence. He loves to climb all over you but if you move your hand anywhere near him he’ll drop his head and back away. I’ve had him eat and drink from my hand, tried to give him spinach, rockmelon and sprouts. He just won’t sit with me without growling.

P.S. I say growling because that’s the closest thing I can think of... like a constant throaty growl that becomes more pronounced when you actually look at him or go to touch him

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
growling

Hi and Welcome! I am not sure what sound your cockatiel is making. I have never heard a cockatiel make a throaty growl like you describe. Could you get a video of it? Of course, like kids, our birds will often not "perform" when we want them to!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Potential cause of growling

Hi! Although I am not completely sure about cockatiel behavior, your description of growling reminds me of how my little cockatiels used to make a "growling" sound when waiting to be hand-fed. I've read online that in some cases, a newly weaned cockatiel will become stressed from the sudden change in environment and revert to its old ways of demanding to be hand-fed.

I hope this helps in some way!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Is he begging for food? From your description it sounds like he's doing the "baby begging noise". They sound like angry dinosaurs. Look it up on YouTube!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.