Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Boy or Girl?

813 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Misstiel 
#1 ·
Hello all :) new here but been raising tiels for many years. Just over a year ago we bought a new (what we were at the time told) male cockatiel. The seller was a very well reputed breeder and pet store seller (they breed their own birds). We were told this little fellow who we named sponge bob was a boy for certain however now I'm not so sure. Found him/her sitting in the water container making bp bp bp noises which I know can usually be called female mating behaviour. Up until now sponge bob has been a big personality, chirps and play fights with our other male, climbs everything in sight and face taps. He is now 17 months old and meant to be a cinnamon pearl. Below is some pictures of him as a tiny baby and some from now. He was always very undersized and we will love him as male or female regardless but I really am bugged to know. Any ideas? Picture with the lady is when he was little the other two are our little one now.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There is an exception with male pearls losing their pearl markings by 1 year old when pied is mixed in. Since your bird is a cinnamon pearl pied, you would have to DNA him/her to know for sure. Do you happen to know what the parents' mutations were? Since cinnamon and pearl are sex-linked, there might be a way to tell what Sponge Bob is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.