Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas tree Bird Plant Christmas ornament Twig

Bird Picture frame Leg Beak Cockatiel
Bird Beak Parrot Cockatiel Feather

Bird Cockatiel Parrot Grey Beak

Boy? Girl?
Only 14 weeks on to young to tell what are peoples guesses?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you know the parents' mutations? And would you be able to get a picture of the inside of the wings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the parents' mutations? And would you be able to get a picture of the inside of the wings?
Hi I’ve been told…

the mother is a lutino pied. The father is a normal grey, although could be split for pied or pearl (which means that although not visible on him, could carry some of his parents mutation genes 🧬). I don’t know for sure though, as I didn’t see either parentage.

I’ll get a photo of the wings later on… I’m just curious as a DNA testing in my area want 5 plucked feathers from the bird, the bird is just starting to become tame/trusting of me, will feed out my hand now only had it 3 weeks.. I don’t want to scare it and get set back from my hard work of hand taming him/her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I’ve been told…

the mother is a lutino pied. The father is a normal grey, although could be split for pied or pearl (which means that although not visible on him, could carry some of his parents mutation genes 🧬). I don’t know for sure though, as I didn’t see either parentage.

I’ll get a photo of the wings later on… I’m just curious as a DNA testing in my area want 5 plucked feathers from the bird, the bird is just starting to become tame/trusting of me, will feed out my hand now only had it 3 weeks.. I don’t want to scare it and get set back from my hard work of hand taming him/her.
Bird Beak Safety glove Sleeve Feather

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would not pluck feathers out of your bird as DNAing feathers is not 100% accurate. The best way to DNA your bird is to clip the nail just a little past the quick so it bleeds. It is not harmful to your bird, and it is way more accurate than taking a few feathers. I thought your cockatiel might be a cinnamon because of the lightness of it, but now I'm not so sure. If it was, that would be a female, then. The reason I asked to look at the wings is because sometimes wing spot sexing is a good way to tell, but it is not 100% accurate either. I'd want to say male, but I'll let you look at the link I'll show you and see what you think.
Chapter 2 – COCKATIEL MUTATIONS, A Bounty of Color

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No plucking feathers is something I definitely don’t want todo. Great info on the nail clipping I’ll keep that in mind. I don’t mind if it’s a he or she either way it’s very vocal already,just getting curious with how people tell them apart before the molt.
By looking at the link… the bird has no markings on the 4/5th feathers closes to the body and the very last feather at the end has no markings on which from the link would indicate it’s a he. I just thought at this age maybe the face would be a lot more yellow by now if it was a boy

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought a male normal grey cockatiel when he was about 12 weeks old. When he reached 6 months old, he started getting a yellow face and from then on, he got more and more yellow. I'll show a picture of him when I bought him, then at 6 months old, 7 months old, 8 months old, and then at 9 months
Head Bird Cockatoo Eye Cockatiel
Head Bird Cockatoo Eye Cockatiel
Bird Eye Beak Gesture Feather
Cockatiel Head Bird Eye Cockatoo
Hair Head Bird Eye Cockatiel
Bird Hand Beak Gesture Parrot
old to show the difference. By what you are saying, it does sound like a male so you could DNA just to make sure, but in time he will get his bright yellow face, and you'll know for sure. For some reason, it doubled one of the pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a male normal grey cockatiel when he was about 12 weeks old. When he reached 6 months old, he started getting a yellow face and from then on, he got more and more yellow. I'll show a picture of him when I bought him, then at 6 months old, 7 months old, 8 months old, and then at 9 months View attachment 94587 View attachment 94587 View attachment 94588 View attachment 94589 View attachment 94590 View attachment 94591 old to show the difference. By what you are saying, it does sound like a male so you could DNA just to make sure, but in time he will get his bright yellow face, and you'll know for sure. For some reason, it doubled one of the pictures.
Wow what a beautiful bird.. I think DNA testing is something I’ll probably not decide todo and just wait and see. Always like to hear people’s own opinions
I bought a male normal grey cockatiel when he was about 12 weeks old. When he reached 6 months old, he started getting a yellow face and from then on, he got more and more yellow. I'll show a picture of him when I bought him, then at 6 months old, 7 months old, 8 months old, and then at 9 months View attachment 94587 View attachment 94587 View attachment 94588 View attachment 94589 View attachment 94590 View attachment 94591 old to show the difference. By what you are saying, it does sound like a male so you could DNA just to make sure, but in time he will get his bright yellow face, and you'll know for sure. For some reason, it doubled one of the pictures.
Wow what a beautiful bird.. I think DNA testing is something I’ll probably not decide todo and just wait and see. Always like to hear people’s own opinions from their experiences owning these birds.
The breeder did say from his personal opinion breeding them for a lot of years he thinks he is a male but obviously nothing is 100% guaranteed without proper testing.
Ive owned cocktails before but never one from such a young age so new experience for me too. Thank you so much for all your help. I shall copy your idea of a monthly head photo to see how it changes, although this morning I have noticed the brightest yellow tiny feather coming through, picture isn’t very clear but I’ll attach it anyway 🙂
Bird Beak Feather Art Foot

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks, and you're welcome! And yes, I do see the yellow feather! It's such a neat experience when you get to see their faces change to yellow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts