Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still having trouble getting Kirby to eat pellets when there's seed around. I've read in several posts that a lot of people keep a bowl of seed and a bowl of pellets in their bird's cages at all times, and the birds seem to take care of it themselves. I'm just worried that, because he's a seed junkie, Kirby will only eat the bowl of seed and ignore the bowl of pellets. What should I do in this situation? Should I leave both bowls in and let him figure it out, or should I start scheduled feeding?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Have you tried hand-feeding him pellets as treats? That can often trick them into thinking pellets are good, and might cause him to start eating them on his own.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
An easy way is to only offer pellets first thing in the morning as soon as you wake him up. To do this, you can remove the seed bowl at night and for the first hour of the day only offer pellets. Add the seed bowl back in after that hour so that he can still eat that if he likes, but this helps them eat the pellets.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I put pellets and seeds in the same bowl. He doesn't eat all pellets (he doesn't like some colours), but he does eat some.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night I saw him picking at some pellets, so I think I might just be worrying over nothing, and that he eats both.

I can't mix them, though, because then Kirby picks the seeds out of the pellets (like a little kid), and then when he's gotten all the seed he throws the pellets out of the bowl looking for more, making a huge mess.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'll wait and see what he does for a few days to see if both bowls empty out, and if not I'll try some of your suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts