Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first cockatiel about 3 weeks ago, and I was just wondering about her cage. The cage that we have has a wire bottom so that the droppings will fall through, but I've noticed at most post stores that the bottoms of their cages are flat with bedding that the birds can sit in. I know that pet stores aren't always an indication of proper care, but it got me to wondering which is the best type of cage bottom for my tiel?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
A grate with newspaper ( or other type of paper) is perfectly fine and is what most of us on the forum use. A grate means your tiel isnt walking around in its poop or eating soiled seeds off the floor and without a grate some cockatiels can see newspaper at the bottom of the cage as nesting material and get hormonal. Newspaper is safe, cheap, easy, and makes monitoring droppings easy.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Since this is my first bird, I'm still on a learning curve. I've had lots of furry creatures before and I know with them the grate is not good. So I wasn't sure which way to jump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts