Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maya is usually very sweet, (if not a little rambunctious) but sometimes - only in the morning - she seems bothered by something and starts wheeling around from side to side, fanning her tail and hissing. She 'bites' my finger (or whatever she's standing on) accompanied by an angry sound, though her bites are always very gentle (more like aggravated nibbles). Sometimes she flies down to the ground, like she's trying to run away from something.

What could be bothering her? Is it something I do? I don't ever force her to come out when she doesn't want to...
She's having her first molt right now, so could it be the uncomfortableness of her new feathers coming in?

·
Registered
437 Posts
First thing in the morning when I turn on the light, my girl is grumpy for awhile. I can't try to touch her for a bit, I noticed it takes her a few minuted to get her eyes orientated to the light, she can't focus on me, so it scares her. I have learned to talk to her for a good five minutes or so, she's still grumpy early in morning . She's just not a morning girl!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
If it's dark outside and you've turned a light on, it's possible that you're casting a scary shadow on the wall. My birds like me but they don't like my shadow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Munchkin like to do what we call her "morning crazies". As soon as she comes out of her cage in the morning, she will do several zooms laps of the room, all the while hissing. When she lands, she'll keep her wings open and tail fanned out, and jump from side to side hissing, while spinning in a circle. It's hilarious to watch! Once she's done that, she'll happily climb into her cage and eat breakfast, and continue the day as a civilised birdie. I think it's just energy she needs to expend from sitting still all night. That and she's grumpy about being woken up :p Must be in the teenage stage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My flock is always grumpy pants in the morning. As soon as they have stretched, eaten, and preened all is well and they are ready to be scritched!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts