Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Tiel lovers,
Just need some advise on how to overcome my Tiel, Tango, from being scared of me. He is not hand tamed and at least now he does not bite me. He steps up, reluctantly and even then I have to chase him now and then. He stays on my finger as long as he does not see the cage so he can fly onto it. He is only about 9 months and his wings are clipped. I can stroke him and kiss him although for the most part he is nervous. I have had hand tamed ones but this guy makes me feel he will never bond with me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It sounds to me like you are well on tour way already! I know when I tamed my first it seemed like it was not getting better but it was. If you are already handling Tango and able to touch him that's great! Just keep doing what you're doing and it will get even better. I have to remember to hold my less tame birds every day even if they want to avoid me, or they go backwards.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I would say you are doing just fine for a un hand tamed Tiel.
Just keep on doing what you are doing.

Take it at Tiel time, try not to push to hard.
Watch what your Fid is doing and leave it alone if it is resting, eating, even preening.
When they are active, that is the time to interact with them.
Keep training or interaction times down to under 20mins, this helps, so they do not lose interest.
I like to work on fids late afternoon mostly, then you find they go back to their cages with less trouble.
My own Tiels I have to work with when they choose.
It could take a lot of time, but does not sound like it. It does sound like you have made an important connection already. Confidence will come with trust in you and your home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi folks,
Well, Tango's progress has not improved much since my 1st post. I have sat near his cage as much as I can. I have put my computer nearby. I have tried millet in my hand, sunflower seeds (which he loves) in my hand and he looks at me buggy eyed, may take 1 or two bites but that's it. I have two male budgies that when they fly away he will chirp (react). The only significant change has been he is grinding his beak which I know means contentment. He's just not content with me. He fly's a lot into the walls. I hope this has not affected his brain. Ta ta for now,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts