Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This is my first official post 馃檪 I鈥檓 getting my pirate in about a month to 5 weeks, but I visit him everyday until he鈥檚 ready to go home. He鈥檚 been playing with me and everything but I was wondering how do I get him to like getting scratched or pet and also when I bring him home, should i not pick him up for a while or why should I do? Thanks

Registered
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

You may find some helpful hints on taming in this article, and read about food bribery in this article.

Is your new 'tiel a hand-fed baby? You may want to also read this thread. If he is tame and able to be handled already I see no harm in picking him up/handling him when you first bring him home.

Registered
If you are visiting him frequently, and if he is old enough to start eating food by himself, you can encourage him to start bonding with you right now by holding food in your hand for him to eat. Millet spray is one of the first foods that babies learn to eat, so you can offer him some millet spray. If he is very young then he won't know what to do with it at first, but he will learn over the next few weeks.

Young chicks don't appreciate head scritches at first - apparently it takes some time for them to realize that this is enjoyable. You can teach him by scritching his head briefly (not long enough to really annoy him) whenever you visit him, and then do it longer when you can see that he is starting to enjoy it.

Registered
I started by very briefly putting the very tip of my index finger on Joey's head, for a second at the most. Then I worked up to two. I'd then gently move my finger, just once, in a short stroking motion, then after a few days, I'd go down his crest and back, slowly working til I was able to scratch the top of his head. After a few weeks, he surprised me by flopping his head to the side to offer me his cheek. It wasn't long after that, he was letting me scratch his head, cheeks, and under his beak.

It all depends on the tiel. Some are more receptive to the idea, and age does play into it. Joey was about 12 weeks old when I first started trying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.