Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im getting a 3 and a half month old cockatiel this week, has been handled once or twice when a bit younger but otherwise has been in the avairy, i was wondering what the best way for me to go about it is ? And things that i can do to help build trust and make it want to bond with me? Im not sure sex but possibly male they said. Here is a photo :)

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool! I can't help with training as I don't own one but I'm sure some of the experts can. Cool bird btw!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
With tiels, slow and steady really does win the race. Everything has to be at the bird's pace, repetition, slow movements, sitting close, talking to him/her. and showing your excitement over foods, toys, etc you want them to get accustomed to. Some birds like some things, but never quite like others. Joey loves to have his head and face scratched. eats from our hands, and loves to have the top of his head kisses, but at nearly 3, he has yet to step up. I try a couple times a day but never force the issue.

There are a lot of valuable threads on here. A great start is the sticky library, where threads are easy to find.

You have a gorgeous baby! :love:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Its just the same age as my other 2 that i have had no luck with

·
Registered
36 Posts
Taming & getting the right bird for you.

Don't worry you will do. It just takes time. It is easier to tame birds that are in separate cages. I will suggest when you get him you give him a cage to himself to adjust and do exactly what TamaMoo suggests. Get him used to your voice and fill your hands with food to show you are not a threat. You can introduce him slowly to your other two cockatiels when he is out of the cage. It is so much easier to tame birds when they're in a cage on their own. It's not impossible to tame an aviary bird, he's still young which a plus!

I know it's frustrating to start with, when months have passed you feel like you're getting nowhere but one day they will pluck up courage to try the food from your hand and everything will be easier from then on. Besides just because a bird isn't tame doesn't mean they're not fun, you'll see him grow in personality and you'll love him.

If this is not the bird you want then maybe do some research into some younger tiels near you, maybe hand reared ones if you're looking for a tame baby will be a better choice? Cockatiels live for many years, as I'm sure you already know, so waiting a few months longer for the right tiel may be a better option for you. This baby will still have a great life whatever, so you don't need to feel bad for him if you don't choose him.

Good luck whichever path you choose to take, I'm sure you'll love your new baby.

All the best,

-Foobzy and Kiki- :pearl:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Millet. I went to a rescue shelter for birds in my area and they had quite a fair number of cockatiels, keep in mind these birds dont really get tamed / rehab, and every single bird there eventually came over for a nibble. Even if they were deathly afraid of hands or just incredibly unsure.

I like to break off individual bushels of millet so the bird has no choice to get up close to your hand / fingers and it keeps your hand closed so it won't be so intimidating. It has worked well for me so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts