Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Ah, I know it's tough when a pair has complications. It's what is usually called a "bondage pair". You have done everything I would have suggested to do in your situation. Are they aggressive towards each other at all (aside from the plucking)? If not, are their cages side by side so that they can still interact with each other without physical contact?

About the plucking - they can pluck for many reasons but one reason they do it is because they are lacking in iodine. You can purchase a mineral block that has iodine in it as well as other minerals and calcium. Perhaps if Charlie has that to chew on, he may not pluck Peache. I think it's definitely something worth trying.

Apart from leaving the door open, tempting him with treats and putting a ladder or a bendy perch from the door to outside the cage, there's not much else you can to do get Charlie to come out of the cage on his own without forcing him (which I agree is definitely the wrong way to go about it). Sounds like he has had a rough past and this can heavily impact these sensitive little guys long-term. The only advice I can give you in regards to this is a lot of time and patience.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts