Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maya's new flight feathers have been coming in and she was flapping her wings when one of the new ones just fell out and had blood on the tip!!! :eek:
I'm really worried, I don't know how this happened... does this mean she was picking at it? She does have some old feathers that are due to fall out soon in the same area. Maybe she was irritated by those and was preening too vigorously?
How can I help her? :(

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Mine also had that but a little higher than the wing
I don't think it's a real problem unless you accually see her plucking it
It will grow back
Any can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. She's being her normal energetic self now, and I don't see any more blood, so I guess I'll just hope it doesn't happen again!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Mica gave me a scare like that, we even took her to the vet. It was high up, partly on the wing it's self. It was a bloody mess. But tiels must be tougher than we think. I was told as long as the bleeding has stopped, it should be ok and it is.
I went through this with a budgie a year ago and since they are so tiny when they injure a blood feather I felt it was important to get the feather out. I was freaked out by it, but it was not a big deal after all.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That's normal and called a blood feather. All new feathers when they come in have blood in the quill. Most likely what was irritating her was the blood feather itself not the old feathers. As the others said, since the bleeding has stopped everything will be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good to know! Oddly enough, there wasn't much bleeding at all... but I guess that's a good thing :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts