Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! You may have seen on the forum that I recently got a second tiel named Sebastian. This morning I heard lots flapping while they were covered. Didn't think much of it because it was around 8 and they are normally awake by then. Both of them love flapping there wings as fast as they can. When I uncovered the cage everything seemed normal. They were both eating and whistling away. This evening I noticed some of Sebastian's flight feathers on the floor. He was clipped when I got him but I noticed his first two flight feathers had grown back a few days ago. I thought it was odd that he would lose them so fast upon further inspection I noticed that one feather had blood all over it. So I got him out to look him over and noticed dried blood on both his wings. It seemed like a lot. I never had this happen with Lorenzo when he was a baby so I'm very worried! Obviously they aren't bleeding anymore, the blood was completely dry. So I put him back into the cage to rest up. He didn't seem to want me messing with his wings and I didn't want to risk having them bleed again.

My question is how can I prevent this from happening again? Their cage is HUGE so it's not like he can't stretch his wings without hitting cage bars and I let them out whenever I am home. Also, is there anything I can do for him now? I'm worried they will start to bleed again!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also wanted to add that I thought it was odd that he would be losing any feathers at this point. His tail is a mess and looks like Lorenzo's did when he went through his first molt at 6 months. Sebastian is only 12 weeks so I can't imagine that he would be molting yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Freddy did this weekly for about four months when he was younger and heavily clipped. Every new feather that came back was unsupported and would get knocked out, bloody and all. There was no longterm damage and eventually enough feathers were knocked out at once to all come back at once and he hasn't knocked any out since.

He shouldn't bleed again and the feathers he lost will come back within two weeks. He may knock them out right again, if the rest of his feathers are trimmed and there's nothing to support the new ones coming in, but eventually they'll manage to come back fully and once most of the feathers are in he'll be unlikely to break anymore, as the newly emerging sheaths will be protected by the other feathers as they grow.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Night frights can cause them to lose all their feathers. I would say something probably scared him. He should grow them back just fine.

In the future, if there is a bleeding problem, flour or corn starch will stop it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm going through the same problem with Kirby right now; it's so frustrating! He's had at least three accidents in the last two weeks. He broke off a flight feather once, and since then has been knocking it out over and over again and not letting it grow back. We're getting him a bigger cage soon, so hopefully that'll help, and we're going to let him grow out his feathers (he's usually clipped) until he stops breaking that one feather over and over again. I would suggest doing the same. It may break several more times, but like the others said, once he has his other feathers growing in and protecting it it should grow back alright.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roxy C - Thanks! I'll remember that if it ever happens again! :)

Lunawolfsong - I'm sorry Kirby keeps breaking his. Sebastian hasn't broke anymore. He was clipped when I got him and he's only 12 weeks now. So he has no idea how to fly. I think he probably had a night fright and fell to the bottom of the cage. Or he tried to hop to a different perch and fell. He has trouble moving around since he completely relies on walking. If he can't physically crawl to the next perch he will climb over on the cage. I'm letting his wings grow out so hopefully he can learn to fly and become a little more confident.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts