Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have never steered me wrong, so I'm back (yet again) for some advice on how to take better care of my boys.
Oli (lutino, male, about one year) somehow hurt the sides of his wings a day or so ago while I was at work, and apparently lost some blood. He's done this before: gotten overly excited, flapped his wings and hurt them on the sides of the cage. He clotted right away and stopped bleeding, but I wanna know if there's any food/supplement I could add to his food to pump up his iron levels? Or are there any more supplements that I should probably be adding to their diet? (nothing's wrong with them, they're acting normal it's just an additional question)

Thanks, again, for listening!

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
What you should NOT do is give him any kind of iron supplements or try to feed him more iron. Birds are sensitive to too much iron, and have more problems with iron toxicity than they do with iron deficiency. Healthy foods that improve general health including the blood are fine. Intentionally feeding more iron can cause iron storage disease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts