Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this tiel for about 2 months now. He has had his feathers cut by the previous owner (I believe they did not have the slightest clue about birds and their health, so this bird has been through quite a lot). Now, the feathers seem to be growing once again.

Today he (barely) bird flew a short distance while out of cage and dropped a couple of feathers, then bled afterwards (it wasn't a lot, but it also wasn't little, he just bled for about 10 seconds. One of the feathers had blood on its root (the feathers look healthy otherwise). This has happened once before but I was told not to worry about it.

My best guess is that he is just dropping his old feathers, but I don't really know. Could this indicate a common/known health problem or is it a normal injury?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If your 'tiel has been badly or wrongly clipped, he could have issues with bloody feathers coming out for a while until his new set of flight feathers grow in.

As long as the blood feather comes out whole and doesn't break and leave a part of it still in his skin, he will be fine. I would recommend getting an antiseptic or styptic powder to stop bleeding, it works instantly. I use this one.

If you don't have anything else you can apply cornstarch to the area of the bleeding to help it clot.

You might want to read up about blood feathers in this Sticky article.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your 'tiel has been badly or wrongly clipped, he could have issues with bloody feathers coming out for a while until his new set of flight feathers grow in.

As long as the blood feather comes out whole and doesn't break and leave a part of it still in his skin, he will be fine. I would recommend getting an antiseptic powder to stop bleeding, it works instantly. I use this one.

If you don't have anything else you can apply cornstarch to the area of the bleeding to help it clot.

You might want to read up about blood feathers in this Sticky article.
Thank you very much! I was just worried that this is abnormal or my bird is sick, but if it's just about time that the flight feathers grow back healthy then I can manage. :) Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.