Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question.

Last night, I had Pucca out of her cage for a bit. She decided that It was time for bed. So she flew back to her cage and she dropped a feather. It was long, so I'm assuming that it came from here tail. When I pick it up, the quill part was a little wet. When I looked on my hand, it looked like there was a little bit of blood. I was in a panic.

I picked Pucca up and looked to see if there was any blood but I couldn't find anything. I also checked her this morning but she seemed fine.

The feather's quill was clear besides that little bit of blood.

Is there anything I should do?

Please pardon me if I am over-reacting.

Kathie

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Don't worry about over reacting. It's always better to be over worried then under worried. It sounds to me like she's molting and somehow the way she landed helped out a tail feather that was ready to come out anyway. That's probably why you saw a little blood. If the quill was clear and the feather wasn't broken it means it was an adult feather that was ready to come out. As long as there is no blood on her or it isn't broken it's ok.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Sometimes they will lose a blood feather in one piece, and you will see the blood in the tip of the quill still. As long as it wasn't broken then you don't need to worry about it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I just like making sure that I'm doing the right thing.

I just got home from work and Pucca was squeaking indiignantly for some wheatgrass. What a little diva.

No blood anyhere. Just a little package of mega-attitude. She has been picking up some bad habits from Peaches.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Iam sure she will be ok. I would put paper towel on the bottom of her cage to check for blood. But by your post it sounds like you don't have too :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts