Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today one of my birds had a broken blood feather it was one of his flight feathers so I go to pull it out and the feather has actually snapped off under the skin and left the quill behind in the wing so it's impossible to pull.

The bleeding had stopped before I even noticed his broken it so there is no blood just the tip of the quill left in the wing.

Is this going to be a problem for him or will it eventually come out on its own?

·
Registered
648 Posts
If it's a blood feather, it's a problem. It's clotted and that's why it's stopped bleeding but if he picks at it it'll open up again and the shaft of the feather that remains within him will work like a straw with blood flowing through it and blood will be lost at an alarming rate. It only takes about 10 drops of blood to be lost with cockatiels and then they're in big danger.
If it's not a blood feather then it's less of an emergency but still could cause problems.
A vet visit would be the best course of action and to not let them pick at it, but that's going to be very hard because it will be hurting them so they'll want to fuss with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts