Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Cosmo outside in his old small cage. He was always good. Well he started thrashing around and lost a feather and is bleeding right now. I don't know what to do because I'm by myself and I can't find any corn startch, will flour stop his bleeding? Will it clot on its own or will it continue to bleed? I can drive him to the pet store for the guy to help me hold him. He doesn't like to be touched so idk what to do. Help!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Flour will help stop the bleeding but if it's badly damaged it will need pulled. Even if it clots, it will start bleeding again if disturbed. You can pull it yourself with a pair of surgical forceps or needle nose pliers - otherwise you may need a vet to do it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. Luckily the whole feather came out along with the shaft. I about threw up when he flapped and got blood on my leg. I'm a queezy person when it comes to blood or any gore. I got some flour on it the best I could. He hates me right now, I praised him and gave him a peanut for forgiveness. I left him on his play too to sulk. I'm going to keep an eye on him. It looks like it stopped bleeding and the blood stain is turning brown. So hopefully he is okay. I'm going to have to sell that cage, he used to do so good outside in it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the feather came out completely (rounded/bulbous tip) it should stop bleeding on its own and be fine :) Glad to hear he's ok!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Jaguar! He is doing fine now no bleeding, he keeps preening his wings which worries me he will open it back up or get it infected. He was still a little grouchy with me when I got him to take a shower with me. He settled down once he realized he was going for a shower. He must of really wanted a shower because he actually put his wings up and was showering when I held my hand over him so water can trickel down my fingers onto his back. He has only done this one or two other times before, usually he'll let the water run down his back and then preen and clean up after he is back on top the shower door. I dried him off with the blow dryer so he doesn't get sick. It's so weird, he loves the blow dryer! I'm super careful and put it on the low and warm setting and use the cool shot every now and then so he doesn't get too hot. I just never heard of a bird that likes to be blow dried after their shower. Then again my dog loves the blow dryer too, so it must be a thing with my animals lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
You shouldn't blow dry your bird, a lot of hair dryers have Teflon in them, and Teflon fumes are very harmful to birds (which is why you can't have non-stick cookware either). Your bird should not get sick if he is wet unless it is very cold. Normal room temperature will not make your bird sick, I don't know how cold it is where you are but if it's very cold then having him near a column oil heater (obviously don't let him touch it) will help, those are probably the safest heaters for birds. Letting him dry naturally is the best option though if it's not super cold, and showering him during the day so he has time to dry off on his own before going to bed.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You shouldn't blow dry your bird, a lot of hair dryers have Teflon in them, and Teflon fumes are very harmful to birds (which is why you can't have non-stick cookware either). Your bird should not get sick if he is wet unless it is very cold. Normal room temperature will not make your bird sick, I don't know how cold it is where you are but if it's very cold then having him near a column oil heater (obviously don't let him touch it) will help, those are probably the safest heaters for birds. Letting him dry naturally is the best option though if it's not super cold, and showering him during the day so he has time to dry off on his own before going to bed.
I think there are varying opinions on this. My two vets actually recommend blow drying, but only on low heat. Teflon isn't a concern with the low heat setting -- in fact, hair dryers shouldn't heat up enough to vaporize Teflon at all, although of course you'll want to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there are varying opinions on this. My two vets actually recommend blow drying, but only on low heat. Teflon isn't a concern with the low heat setting -- in fact, hair dryers shouldn't heat up enough to vaporize Teflon at all, although of course you'll want to err on the side of caution.
I always have it on the low setting with mostly on the cold shot button. My hand is always in between him and the blow dryer to monitor what temperature is coming out. That's interesting your vet recommended to do that, honestly as long as your careful you shouldn't have a problem. It takes not even a minute to get him dried enough. You see I have my air conditioning set at 69-70 degrees and even I freeze when I get out the shower, I couldn't imagine how it would feel like if I was as little as him.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well, I have a plucker whose feathers don't seal completely. So she gets soaked very easily and then takes forever to dry and stands there shivering if I don't blow dry her. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts