Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gone for most of the day on Sunday, and came home last night and noticed that my cockatiel Frank had a blood blister on his far back left toe, just above the nail. I have no idea how it happened, whether he was picking at his foot and made it happen, or if he got his foot or nail caught in something.

It's not actually bleeding at the moment, but it's very red like it's full of blood, and he's occasionally been biting at it, like it's bothering him, so I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before he gets it bleeding.

My question is do I take him to the vet, or do I leave it alone and just let it heal on its own?

My problem is I'm leaving today to go out of town for a few days, and normally I would leave him here with no problem, and have my sister come by to check on him once or twice, but I'm afraid to leave him alone, in case god forbid the foot starts bleeding and no one is here to help.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well if he does pick it and it starts bleeding and no one is there you could have yourself a problem. I was told recently by a vet that it's only about 10 drops of blood they need to lose before it's like a real emergency since they don't have a lot of blood so I'd take him to the vet before you leave or make an appointment and get your sister to take him asap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I called the vet and made an appointment for this morning, so he can get checked out. I'll have to leave for my trip later than I intended, but taking care of my boy is more important. They do pet boarding there as well, and he's stayed there before. They've always taken great care of him, so I feel comfortable leaving him. That way if his foot starts bleeding, he'll be right where he can get immediate care.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My guy got a blister and some pressure sores on his one foot this year.
We had to wrap all his purches in washcloths to keep them soft and padded while his foot healed. We also padded the bottom of his cage in a section because standing flat sometimes felt good for him.We also put a VERY thin layer of Neosporin on the bottom of his foot.
I would highly recommend the padding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts