Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a pet Cockatiel named Blinky who I got few weeks ago.
He's been doing well and seems to be adjusted to his new home. He likes to make noises with me and I taught him a kissy noise, a few whistles, and he says "pretty bird." I talk to him quite a bit, and when I leave the room he'll yell for me and he won't stop, even if I respond to him, until I come back. He's done that almost ever since I've had him.
But even though he seems to enjoy when I give him attention, there are times when he seems to get aggressive or stressed while I'm spending time with him. For instance, I'll be talking to him and he'll respond to me but then suddenly he'll attack whatever perch he's on, any nearby cage bars, or toys. It doesn't seem like he's playing because he'll scream and squeak like crazy when he does it. Then suddenly he'll stop and start chirping and whistling at me again as if nothing had happened. It's hard for me to tell if the aggression is targeted at me or what, if anything, is causing these outbursts. Is it hormonal? Have I done something wrong? Is he just taking out his aggression? :confused:
I love the little guy and all I want is for him to be happy and comfortable with me, so help please.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Oh my gosh! I am sure there is someone on here who would know more than me. One of my budgies does that though, when I go to cover the cage at night. It's like she is mad, I can't figure anything else for that kind of reaction. She makes loud squeaks when she kind of hacks at what ever is near by. So maybe he is frustrated?

I'm impressed that you have already taught him to talk! I am trying this too, but so far nothing. I wish I could whistle better, but I"m not doing so good getting either one to respond.

Can I ask how old your bird is?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I think it sounds like hormonal aggression. Mine do this frequently so its not abnormal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts