Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, some of you have probably seen me around the forums lately. So I was changing my tiel's food and water while my budgies were out of their cage, and one of the budgies came near my tiel's cage, but there are a few problems:
This is the first time they meet.
The tiel's wings are clipped (possibly incorrectly, which means they could not grow back).
I got the tiel only 4 days ago.

So, the tiel being clumsy, tried to fly out of his cage and fell on the floor then opened his wings for like 5 seconds, at first I didn't realize what had happened but when I looked at the place he landed I found some blood, and then he flapped his wings a bit more and tiny blood splashes went in all directions. I managed to get him back into his cage after that and disinfected the place.

I think this is related to a squeaky/screechy noise he made often while trying to reach a spot under his wing ever since I got him, and I don't know what to do! The bleeding stopped but I have no idea what happened to him, he didn't fall down hard so that wasn't what triggered the bleeding, it could have been something under his wing all along.

Can tiels carry diseases that humans might catch? Also is it possible that his wings are damaged and won't grow back?
Avian vet is not an option, the closest avian vet is almost across the country.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will your cockatiel let you take a picture of it? It sounds like he has a broken blood feather. Broken blood feathers can occur from damage to a growing pin feather.

I have never done this but you are suppose to cover your bird in a towel or sheet to reduce stress. While you locate the blood feather and pluck it out at its base then apply flour to stop the bleeding. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but since your cockatiel stoped bleeding I think you can leave it but again I could be wrong.

I read some of your other post on here and I really do think that you can make it work with your rescued cockatiel. I got my first cockatiel about 3 weeks ago. I know that isn't a long time but in my experience my cockatiel was okay with me from day 1 but still every scared of his surroundings for a week. Since your cockatiel has been kind of tortured he might take 2 weeks or more to start being comfortable. For now he is use to his old cage so I would leave him in that until you can find a bigger cage or feel like he has a good bond with the budgies. I understand there is a risk with having your cockatiel with the budgies but as long as you come up with a plan for a bigger home for your cockatiel if housing them together doesn't work out then I think everything will be fine. Also, at the moment you have time to figure out your budget and space limitations while observing how your birds are doing together before you decide. Just when you introduce them outside of the cage monitor them and if you decide to house them together still watch them for a while. Like hopefully you will have some work to do and can be in your office for hours to make sure everything is okay.

The breeder I got my cockatiel from clipped his wings. I have had him for 3 weeks and they still haven't fully grown back but they do seem to be growing in right. Your cockatiel's wings might be fine but they do take a long time to grow back fully. I hope that answers some of your questions. Sorry I don't have more experience but that is what I know and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will your cockatiel let you take a picture of it? It sounds like he has a broken blood feather. Broken blood feathers can occur from damage to a growing pin feather.

I have never done this but you are suppose to cover your bird in a towel or sheet to reduce stress. While you locate the blood feather and pluck it out at its base then apply flour to stop the bleeding. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but since your cockatiel stoped bleeding I think you can leave it but again I could be wrong.

I read some of your other post on here and I really do think that you can make it work with your rescued cockatiel. I got my first cockatiel about 3 weeks ago. I know that isn't a long time but in my experience my cockatiel was okay with me from day 1 but still every scared of his surroundings for a week. Since your cockatiel has been kind of tortured he might take 2 weeks or more to start being comfortable. For now he is use to his old cage so I would leave him in that until you can find a bigger cage or feel like he has a good bond with the budgies. I understand there is a risk with having your cockatiel with the budgies but as long as you come up with a plan for a bigger home for your cockatiel if housing them together doesn't work out then I think everything will be fine. Also, at the moment you have time to figure out your budget and space limitations while observing how your birds are doing together before you decide. Just when you introduce them outside of the cage monitor them and if you decide to house them together still watch them for a while. Like hopefully you will have some work to do and can be in your office for hours to make sure everything is okay.

The breeder I got my cockatiel from clipped his wings. I have had him for 3 weeks and they still haven't fully grown back but they do seem to be growing in right. Your cockatiel's wings might be fine but they do take a long time to grow back fully. I hope that answers some of your questions. Sorry I don't have more experience but that is what I know and I hope it helps.
Thanks a lot, you were very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.