Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. So my cockatiel seems to get very interested in certain items like tinfoil and paper bags. If we take tinfoil out to use it he gets very angry if you come anywhere near it and attacks. Same thing with paper bags. There was a paper bag on the floor that he was playing with and I stepped around it and went to another room and he flew to my shoulder and bit me hard. Whenever he bites I get him right in the cage and keep him there for at least a few hours. We got rid of tinfoil in the house and will keep the paper bags out of site but anyone else have these issues with their birds basically falling in love with household items and attacking if you touch it in his presence? I fear that he'll just keep growing attached to different objects and this will keep happening. When he's sweet he's the best. Loves to have me scratch his head and if I take my hand away after scratching him for a while he'll put his head under my fingers to keep going. He will also nip at my fingers to tell me to keep scratching and they are little nips that don't hurt. He definitely knows the difference between hard bites and bites to get attention. Help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was a kid, we had a tiel that was attached to the kitchen stove. He'd crawl on the floor to get behind it and he'd hang out back there for hours. Whenever anyone would walk by, he'd dart out and attack your feet. It was crazy, but there was no keeping him from it.
Recently my parents got a new tiel and started flicking his beak when he'd nip at them... now he is totally afraid of anyone's hands and won't even come for head pets any more. He used to be super affectionate. It's very sad.
Anyway, my birds have never gotten particularly possessive of an object, but sometimes do bite hard for one reason or another... I guess I mostly just ignore it, because I'm not sure if they learn anything from punishment. I'd love to hear if anyone had some good tips for dealing with biting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts