this one is only about 10 weeks old, and he Bites a lot,
I have only had him for 1 week now,
Is there any thing I can do to stop this,
and or why would he be Biting, I have had a few Cockatiels in the past,
but never had one that bites all the time,
He has been hand raised, and very tame, Likes to be rubbed and patted,
Please help,
Regards Chris,
Do you grab him, or do anything that could be bothering him?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you grab him, or do anything that could be bothering him?
Hi, No, he can be just sitting calmly on my arm or hand or chest area, and just starts to gently bite, even when he sits on my shoulders he will start to nibble or bite on my neck, or ear, sometimes it can get quite hard his bites,
He seem' to like biting anything continuously,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, if he is sitting on your shoulder/chest, wherever, do you talk to him or do you do your own thing?
I am always talking to him, and playing with him, gently, to a point he continues to bite, he also bites and chews my furniture as well, This is my 3rd Cockatiel and never had one act like this, he is such a very dear little bloke thou,

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am always talking to him, and playing with him, gently, to a point he continues to bite, he also bites and chews my furniture as well, This is my 3rd Cockatiel and never had one act like this, he is such a very dear little bloke thou,
Maybe he is just a very energetic bird, i also had a cockatiel that was calm and now i have another one and he will chew on everything lol. Maybe try getting him more chew toys for him so he can take out his agression to. I specifically like bunny toys because they usually come into ball shapes and you can have them outside of the cage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe he is just a very energetic bird, i also had a cockatiel that was calm and now i have another one and he will chew on everything lol. Maybe try getting him more chew toys for him so he can take out his agression to. I specifically like bunny toys because they usually come into ball shapes and you can have them outside of the cage
Thank you, he is very active, whether in his cage or out with me, more so out with me, most of the time he is out with me,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
Please help me,
I have just recently got a young Cockatiel, as I lost my last Cockatiel,
Please help,
Regards Chris,
10 weeks old. Love bites. Natural behavior for birds. Unnatural for owners to think they are “aggressive”. Very likely that you don’t understand avian behavior and are attempting to instill human characteristics in a bird. My two year old has a variety of different behavior, a limited chirp vocabulary that I am learning and gives me bites when she is in a bird mood. Perhaps you shouldn’t own birds maybe a cat would be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where might I buy these biting chewing toys, I live in Adelaide, South of Adelaide,
10 weeks old. Love bites. Natural behavior for birds. Unnatural for owners to think they are “aggressive”. Very likely that you don’t understand avian behavior and are attempting to instill human characteristics in a bird. My two year old has a variety of different behavior, a limited chirp vocabulary that I am learning and gives me bites when she is in a bird mood. Perhaps you shouldn’t own birds maybe a cat would be a better fit for you.
Sorry I have owned Birds all my life had 3 pet Magpies, 2 pet Hawks in the past, when I was young, I have owned 3 Cockatiels in the past,
I am 63 years old have live in the the country, bred Birds many years ago, but just never had a a Cockatiel with a Biting frenzy, could be just me, So don't tell me to get a Cat or Dog, Me being a Bird Lover I hate :CATS:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry I have owned Birds all my life had 3 pet Magpies, 2 pet Hawks in the past, when I was young, I have owned 3 Cockatiels in the past,
I am 63 years old have live in the the country, bred Birds many years ago, but just never had a a Cockatiel with a Biting frenzy, could be just me, So don't tell me to get a Cat or Dog, Me being a Bird Lover I hate :CATS:
So what I’m 70, have a healthy Tiel that behaves like a bird. Your baby is 10 weeks old, give me a break.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dont let it get over you, you dont need to get a cat/dog. You are a great bird owner that was asking for some advice and someone who has "more knowledge" decided to take it upon them self.
Dont worry about your bird, he/she will grow out of it eventually since he/she is just very young, thry making/getting some chew toys as i suggested to take his/her agression out and everything will be fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont let it get over you, you dont need to get a cat/dog. You are a great bird owner that was asking for some advice and someone who has "more knowledge" decided to take it upon them self.
Dont worry about your bird, he/she will grow out of it eventually since he/she is just very young, thry making/getting some chew toys as i suggested to take his/her agression out and everything will be fine
Thank you for your kind advice,
Yes it did get to me a little,
I appreciate it,

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a biter he's seven months old. And it's mostly over him being territorial over his cage. The best thing you can do is as suggested and get him destructible toys. when I saw how pricey it could get for toys my bird would destroy quickly I started making my own. It's so easy and I am starting to get creative and have fun with it. I go to my local dollar store and get wooden beads, rope, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks and packs of construction paper. And I just make things like ornaments that he can tear up and are not hard to remake or replace. I'm still learning what works and what doesn't but I'll attach some pics to give you an idea. Something super easy that I'll add a pic of is something i call a clothes line. I attach a small piece of rope in the opening of his cage and hand different cutouts of paper or cardboard from it. I also use these clips I get six for a just over a dollar and use them to clip sheets of seaweed as a snack or even cardboard just to chew on. I have spent a lot of time of beaded toys he barely pays attention to but hardly no time on the clothes line and I'm always hanging more stuff onto it.
Mesh Event Entertainment Leisure Metal

Outerwear Product Purple Textile Sleeve

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find wooden pegs work well too, you can usually get them from the supermarket and I dye with food due just for fun , I don’t know if it makes any difference to my birds but they love chewing on it. Also even just a branch from a eucalyptus or bottle brush tree, they love chewing that to bits. Mine can bite a bit too sometimes, I’ve leaned over time what different bites mean, Sometimes they are being aggressive And need to take their frustration out on something, sometimes they are telling me to go away and others is just curiosity like babies putting everything in their mouths. With yours being so young I would go with the last particularly if he’s/ she’s not showing signs of fear. When they’re young it can be hard for them to judge what is a hard bite versus a nibble. Even mine at 3 year’s and 5 years still miss judge sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Please help me,
I have just recently got a young Cockatiel, as I lost my last Cockatiel,
Please help,
Regards Chris,
Mine is bonded with me loves to sit on my chest head and beak rubs about 5 minutes later soft bite to tell me to stop. In the morning when on my shoulder she bites at my ear. They are not biting you. You will know if they bite it can draw blood. They are moody think of cockateils as the cats if the bird world. They have their own moods and don't conform to the owner. The soft bitting won't stop they can't say stop or no so they do that instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts