Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 5 month old cockatiel who is completely bonded with me. His wings grew after being clipped from the breeder when we got him . He’s recently started biting me pretty frequently so I try to just put him on his perch so he can be in the room with me but he immediately flies back to me. I don’t leave him in the cage for most of the day, so I’m getting landed on and bitten most of the day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 💕

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I have a 5 month old cockatiel who is completely bonded with me. His wings grew after being clipped from the breeder when we got him . He’s recently started biting me pretty frequently so I try to just put him on his perch so he can be in the room with me but he immediately flies back to me. I don’t leave him in the cage for most of the day, so I’m getting landed on and bitten most of the day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 💕
I would just stay consistent with a firm no. Mine would always preen my goatee softly. She started to pull the hair after about 4 ir 5 times saying firm no and stopping she does not do it anymore. She is back to preening and not pulling.

·
Registered
cockatiels
48 Posts
Of course, their feathers will regrow. I am totally against repeated clipping of wings after the baby taming months. That is generally done after taming babies so that they can get used to their new environment without harm. I wouldn't like my arms to be chopped off halfway up. They are meant to fly.
There is serious biting, which they will all do when they really don't like something or are frightened, then there is a nothing bite which means they object to slightly to something. Doesn't hurt and they don't mean it that way.
I'm thinking that when you put him back on perch for a bite he considers wrong as he simply wants to be with you. Consider that he loves you and just wants to be with you. The only time I put my tiels in cage is nighttime or when works going on in house where it could be dangerous to them. Make sure you leave their feed only in their cage and not outside cage. They will go there to feed naturally which gives you time and opportunity to close cage door without issue.
Tame tiels will land on you as you are their mate. That is not wrong, just that they love human/s. They don't understand that if you forcibly put them in cage it may be in their best interest.
I've had tame tiels for 20 years and it has been a slow learning curve to understand them. It comes with time, not in a year. You may find that some of his biting is about a raise in arm, new/old sore. They love the natural salt in our skin and any blood they can get to as they do like protein. Tiels actually need some meat/protein in diet. They love, love, love vegies, hate fruit and sweet stuff, like pasta, noodles and (rice, maybe). Remember your food is theirs. What is bad for them they simply don't like and won't touch. When I cook vegies I put some in dish in cage for them to eat.
As your baby is young (5 months) he will gravitate to your mouth. Landing on head is the highest and safest place for them to land. That never stops. Just get used to it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does that occasionally when it does t like something or wants my attention when sitting on my shoulder. Think of it as if the had arms and hands they would just be tapping you because they don't like something. If he comes to you all the time see if it is something your doing. Mine likes to cuddle and craves rubbing her feathers but only when she is cuddled on my shoulder. Anywhere else she don't like to pet. Just think of them more like a cats personality rather than a dogs. They have attitudes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts