Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ,

i hope you guys can give me some advise , as i have posted before parker laid 2 singles eggs months ago, then around a month after had a clutch, i then brought her to the vet to get a health check he said he was perfect :)

She has been sitting on the eggs and all that , they are not fertile as she is single , but this morning she has laid another one , i have followed all the guildlines and i am just a bit worried that this maybe too much laying?? we alos live in OZ so it is spring but very damp and hot at the moment.

Any advise would be greatly appricated .

thanks

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I only have a boy, so I am by far not an expert, but I have heard from others that for example removing what could resemble a nest or nest material or shortening the daylight by putting your bird to bed earlier helps (so basically trying to reduce her hormonal activity). You did say that you have already followed general guidelines though, so I guess you have already tried that.
I had a friend who used Lupron with his bird, but it is usually only used when the problem is really bad and of course the vet should decide. I want to ask my vet about Lupron for my bird too, as he is very hormonal and picks his feathers. Somebody told me it could help, but I am always cautious with meds.
Yes, the weather is so sticky right now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Has she been sitting on the original eggs all this time?
This is our natural time for breeding so it will be difficult to dissuade her from laying. Depending on whether she has been sitting for a long time or has started laying after a break you can plan what to do. If she has had a long sit I would remove everything that could be used as a nest, give her longer nights by covering her earlier in the evening and adjust her diet to a leaner diet with less fattening food (instincts dictate that they breed while food is plentiful).
I don't have the experience of many other forum members so I am sure you will get lots more helpful responses.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Peppy is on her 6th clutch this year even with longer nights. She seems to be handling it better this time and is eating and coming out more so I am not too worried.Her largest clutch is 5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts