Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!!

I've been lurking these forums for a while now but all the hustle bustle, among other things, had me too shy to sign up until now. Lets see if I can keep up :D

I grew up all over Canada, but am currently residing on a tropical island in Thailand with my husband. I grew up with birds in my home, and had missed their presence in my life... So! About eight months ago, we brought home a young parrotlet Amelia :white plet: who has ensured that we will be living in Thailand for the rest of her long life.

A week and a half ago, we also welcomed home her awkward, lanky, sweet little brother, Wiley :tiel1: I've been talking all about him on the talkparrotlets forum, and figured it was high time that I bit the bullet and signed up here, too.

I find it so wonderful how completely different Amelia and Wiley are! Milly has so much "get up and go", constantly exploring everything, getting into things she shouldn't be, constantly checking in on us to see what we're doing, and demanding to be a part of everything.
Wiley, on the other hand, is very relaxed ("sabai sabai" as it's said here), is content to watch us from a distance, but loves to cuddle... will sit on the shoulder for hours if we let him, preening and whistling. He makes Milly look like an ADHD child on sugar. She can't sit still even for two seconds!

Does anyone else own a parrotlet and a cockatiel? Please share some of your experience with me!

I look forward to seeing how their different personalities develop as they mature! I've not yet been brave enough to let the two birds interact freely, as Milly can be a bit of an overwhelming bully when she's in a mood. Once Wiley can fly with some level of grace (he's a disaster at it currently), and can escape Milly if need be, then I'll start letting the two have supervised play time!

Until then, I'll leave you with a photo of Milly explaining to Wiley that he is adopted and that she's clearly the favorite:

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sorry about all that chaos going on a few weeks ago. That was pretty abnormal.

Your p'let and new baby are adorable. Did you quarantine at all?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Haha that was all rather exciting, wasn't it?

The 'breeder' I got Milly and Wiley from are the same person; a good friend of mine who lives just down the street, to whom Milly and I have made many visits to. I figured that kind of ruined the point of quarantine; received second opinions from the local avian vet juuust in case, and they agreed. So no quarantine, in this case :]

·
Registered
885 Posts
OMG those little squeaks in his gracefulness video on instagram.. I melted entirely lmao! He is so freaking cute! Such a sweet little face! How old is he? I just want to cuddle him lol!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's a very sweet little boy! Wiley was hatched on the 7th of October. So presently, he's approaching 6 weeks old. Still a baby, on three handfeedings(spoon fed) a day--starting to pick at solid foods now.

He's been learning how to fly, and is finally getting the hang of landing with some manner of grace. Today, he surprised me by flying from his cage, and landing on my finger when I held it out for him. Up until then, he's been clumsy clumsy, and there are cushions and curtains lining the walls, to prevent him from hurting himself during this learning curve. It's quite a difference from when Milly was fledging...she picked it up almost instantly. Wiley is taking some time to get his balance and coordination up to snuff.

He's quite the gentleman, and unless he's hungry, he doesn't make much noise (yet). He's a very easy bird to please, and even easier yet to love :D I am very lucky to have two very sweet birds in my life <3!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your babies are too cute :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's super cool! I lived in Thailand for 14 years. I never saw any Cockatiels or anything bigger than a budgie where my family lived. I could have gotten something bigger in Bangkok, but never had enough money until we were already moving back to the U.S.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to the group! Both of them are super cute. Love that little baby bird face :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Waves hi from Manitoba , Canada** Your babies are sooo cute :D It's amazing seeing how different our fids can be, eh? Many thanks for the pictures! Hoping to see more :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys!!

That's super cool! I lived in Thailand for 14 years. I never saw any Cockatiels or anything bigger than a budgie where my family lived. I could have gotten something bigger in Bangkok, but never had enough money until we were already moving back to the U.S.
สุดยอด! 14 years is a long time!
Parrots have become very popular pets, here! There was a whole episode on a thai talk show about how parrotlets are "the latest trend" among thai celebs, etc.
It's really tricky though, to find a good person to buy from. Every single pet shop/dedicated breeder I've seen so far has raised their birds in atrocious conditions. I could not live down the guilt of supporting the practices I see here on a daily basis. I feel very fortunate to have my friend here--he's not a dedicated breeder, his birds are his family--not his bread and butter. They're very well taken care of, and he's very selective about who he gives any babies to. And so I feel quite honored to have two of his chicks!

**Waves hi from Manitoba , Canada** Your babies are sooo cute :D It's amazing seeing how different our fids can be, eh? Many thanks for the pictures! Hoping to see more :)
A fellow canadian! :D Hi!!
I saw some of your artwork in another thread, you've got some excellent skill with watercolor!!

I look forward to posting more around these parts!
In the meantime, here's a picture of Milly teaching Wiley how to eat his veggies!:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Thanks, guys!!

A fellow canadian! :D Hi!!
I saw some of your artwork in another thread, you've got some excellent skill with watercolor!!

I look forward to posting more around these parts!
In the meantime, here's a picture of Milly teaching Wiley how to eat his veggies!:

Aw shucks **Blushes** I try to do my best when it comes to watercolours :)

You go, Milly! You teach Wiley all about the perks of veggies :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your birds are super cute.

There is no need to be shy around here. I joined three months ago and everyone has been really kind and helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts