Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Tilly is getting new feathers coming through. (this is under her wings) I have noticed in the past couple of days she's been eating where they're coming through. So I just took her out and checked her and I could see pins? I don't know if that's what it's called and there is quite a few feathers coming but her eating at it doesn't sound right, sounds more like mites maybe? so if it is what do I do? :confused: I'm a bit worried now, at first I thought maybe she's just itchy but for her to keep doing it after a few days doesn't sound too good.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Are you sure she isn't just preening at them? Pin feather (the new feathers coming through that look spiky) are quite itchy, so it makes sense that she would preen them more often. They'll also preen pin feathers to get the soft casing off so the new feathers can open up.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
It sounds like she has some blood feathers (new/pin feathers) coming in and they might just be itchy and she is preening them. Just keep an eye on her and see how she does in the next couple of days. Do you have a night light for them. I have one for Spike and I think it is keeping his night frights away. Which makes me feel better when he has blood feathers coming in. If you are still concerned I would call an avain vet and see what they suggest ;)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh she could be, but sorry I didn't know what preening is or anything. :eek: Wow, I really need to read up more about tiels. I just thought if she done it too hard she could hurt herself or make herself bleed, but maybe mites isn't the case, could be just preening like you said.

So all the white stuff coming off of the pins is soft casing? that bloody stuff goes everywhere. :lol: (not that it bothers me) I thought it was powder or something that's just something on them, I dunno. -__-

Ooh okay, thanks for that Spike. ^_^ I don't have a night light but I can look into getting one definitely. Do the new feathers mean anything? sorry I don't know anything about this sorta thing, I wish I did though so I didn't have to make threads about things when I should already know.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooo. I understand now and I'll take a look at that link read through it all so I start learning some stuff. :lol: Thanks again, you're very helpful, and thanks Bea too. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts