Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I signed, but

BE WARNED: There's a hard to stomach photo on the petition. Makes me glad I have Schubert on my shoulder to comfort me... =(

·
Registered
885 Posts
If anyone is able to sign for me, please do (not sure if you can only sign once per IP address), but i'm not comfortable clicking the link because of the picture.

I hate this world. I really do.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone is able to sign for me, please do (not sure if you can only sign once per IP address), but i'm not comfortable clicking the link because of the picture.

I hate this world. I really do.
If my neighbor's 14 yr old son could sign it I'm sure you can too for crying out loud.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well, no offense, but me and your 14 year old neighbour are very different people. I'm sorry this is happening, it definitely sucks, and if there was a link I could go to without seeing the picture, I would have already done it, but i'm not going to click a link that is going to show me a picture that will have a long term psychological effect on me. I'm not exaggerating on that, either. I'm not going to go into details (nor should I have to explain myself) but I just can't. But thanks for making me feel like a piece of crap.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, no offense, but me and your 14 year old neighbour are very different people. I'm sorry this is happening, it definitely sucks, and if there was a link I could go to without seeing the picture, I would have already done it, but i'm not going to click a link that is going to show me a picture that will have a long term psychological effect on me. I'm not exaggerating on that, either. I'm not going to go into details (nor should I have to explain myself) but I just can't. But thanks for making me feel like a piece of crap.
No offense right back but the reality is most people out there are living in DISCONNECT. They feel empathy for an injured dog or cat or lion yet have NO empathy for cows, pigs, chickens by supporting the meat/dairy/egg industry which is by far causing the LARGEST destruction to this planet (watch the documentary "Cowspiracy"), not to mention causing massive wild life extinction, very RAPIDLY destroying the rain forest every single day and causing immense pain and suffering to animals and human health (what is happening right now ALL strictly from the meat/dairy/egg industry is NOT sustainable). I went VEGAN 100% strictly for ETHICAL reasons.... only many years later did I do it for my health (NO human being has a NEED for animal products... NOT A SINGLE PERSON DOES, the "theory" some people like to throw around who claim "some people do" simply does not exist). If you are too distraught to sign a simple petition... perhaps you should watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy and Earthlings etc (read the China Study) to educate yourself on what it is you are supporting on a daily basis if you are consuming animals products... otherwise you are simply turning a BLIND EYE to reality. These birds stuffed into the plastic bottles are NO WORSE off than the animals being needlessly abused/tortured their entire lives and then slaughtered for human consumption.

... not the mention there is no such thing as ethical eggs... not even form your own backyard: https://youtu.be/utPkDP3T7R4

I went vegan as I cannot support such a CORRUPT and disgusting industry. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude... but I am amazed at the level of disconnect out there and to see it makes my blood boil. Download the "Forks over knives" app onto your cell phone.... there are tons and tons of far healthier and ethical things to eat!...

·
Registered
255 Posts
No offense right back but the reality is most people out there are living in DISCONNECT. They feel empathy for an injured dog or cat or lion yet have NO empathy for cows, pigs, chickens by supporting the meat/dairy/egg industry which is by far causing the LARGEST destruction to this planet (watch the documentary "Cowspiracy"), not to mention causing massive wild life extinction, very RAPIDLY destroying the rain forest every single day and causing immense pain and suffering to animals and human health (what is happening right now ALL strictly from the meat/dairy/egg industry is NOT sustainable). I went VEGAN 100% strictly for ETHICAL reasons.... only many years later did I do it for my health (NO human being has a NEED for animal products... NOT A SINGLE PERSON DOES, the "theory" some people like to throw around who claim "some people do" simply does not exist). If you are too distraught to sign a simple petition... perhaps you should watch documentaries such as Cowspiracy and Earthlings etc (read the China Study) to educate yourself on what it is you are supporting on a daily basis if you are consuming animals products... otherwise you are simply turning a BLIND EYE to reality. These birds stuffed into the plastic bottles are NO WORSE off than the animals being needlessly abused/tortured their entire lives and then slaughtered for human consumption.

... not the mention there is no such thing as ethical eggs... not even form your own backyard: https://youtu.be/utPkDP3T7R4

I went vegan as I cannot support such a CORRUPT and disgusting industry. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude... but I am amazed at the level of disconnect out there and to see it makes my blood boil. Download the "Forks over knives" app onto your cell phone.... there are tons and tons of far healthier and ethical things to eat!...
I'm not watching a 21 minute long youtube video, but what exactly is wrong with eggs from your own backyard? We have free range chickens that just pop them out, and they're just going to rot if no one takes them. No roosters, so there's not gonna be babies.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not watching a 21 minute long youtube video, but what exactly is wrong with eggs from your own backyard? We have free range chickens that just pop them out, and they're just going to rot if no one takes them. No roosters, so there's not gonna be babies.
I can't bother when people don't care to take even a miniscule amount of time. There is a lot of good condensed information in that rather short video that will provide you with the answers to your questions. It's best I unsubscribe from this thread.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Wow, you just took out half the forum in one insulting rant... And I had chickens years ago and yes they were ethically treated.. My chickens had good food, a warm place to live and got to run around outside, eat bugs and lay in the sun... If you are making that argument then look at your caged bird, it is no different than backyard chicken keeping... I have birds and gasp..I breed them to sell... I spoil my birds and give them vet attention when needed, they can fly and play, mate if they feel like it, have good food and fresh water, and lots of attention. I used to work on a dairy farm and those cows were not mistreated, yes they were barned thruout the winter, but all Spring summer and fall they had free roam of the pastures coming in only to be milked, the farmer I worked for was kind and caring to his cows. Just because someone will not click on graphic pix does not make them uncaring or cruel!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't bother when people don't care to take even a miniscule amount of time. There is a lot of good condensed information in that rather short video that will provide you with the answers to your questions. It's best I unsubscribe from this thread.
I don't eat meat. XD So you're ranting at the wrong dude.

The video is about factory farming, blah blah. There's probably a 20 second blip of what I'm asking you that I'd have to go through 21 minutes just to find. If you actually care to educate, just answer my question.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow, you just took out half the forum in one insulting rant... And I had chickens years ago and yes they were ethically treated.. My chickens had good food, a warm place to live and got to run around outside, eat bugs and lay in the sun... If you are making that argument then look at your caged bird, it is no different than backyard chicken keeping... I have birds and gasp..I breed them to sell... I spoil my birds and give them vet attention when needed, they can fly and play, mate if they feel like it, have good food and fresh water, and lots of attention. I used to work on a dairy farm and those cows were not mistreated, yes they were barned thruout the winter, but all Spring summer and fall they had free roam of the pastures coming in only to be milked, the farmer I worked for was kind and caring to his cows. Just because someone will not click on graphic pix does not make them uncaring or cruel!
My post was anything but an insulting rant and you are entirely missing the point. Keeping a caged pet bird is NO comparison to collecting eggs from chickens in your backyard for a multitude of reasons... of which are clearly explained in that short education video if you would bother to watch it. Laying eggs puts EXTREME stress on a chicken. When you remove eggs the chicken laid it forces them to keep laying more and more eggs far more than they would ever lay naturally. Chickens eat their own eggs to replenish the severe loss of nutrients/calcium etc that hens face when laying eggs. Eggs most certainly do not rot... slightly crack a few eggs and you shall see nothing is left of them as the chickens MUST eat some of their eggs to replenish what was lost from the hard work of laying and creating them!! I grew on a farm in Budapest, Hungary I'm very well aware of chickens.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't eat meat. XD So you're ranting at the wrong dude.

The video is about factory farming, blah blah. There's probably a 20 second blip of what I'm asking you that I'd have to go through 21 minutes just to find. If you actually care to educate, just answer my question.
That video is not solely about factory farming nor does it have a mere 20 second blip as you claim.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My post was anything but an insulting rant and you are entirely missing the point. Keeping a caged pet bird is NO comparison to collecting eggs from chickens in your backyard for a multitude of reasons... of which are clearly explained in that short education video if you would bother to watch it. Laying eggs puts EXTREME stress on a chicken. When you remove eggs the chicken laid it forces them to keep laying more and more eggs far more than they would ever lay naturally. Chickens eat their own eggs to replenish the severe loss of nutrients/calcium etc that hens face when laying eggs. Eggs most certainly do not rot... slightly crack a few eggs and you shall see nothing is left of them as the chickens MUST eat some of their eggs to replenish what was lost from the hard work of laying and creating them!! I grew on a farm in Budapest, Hungary I'm very well aware of chickens.
I also grew up on a farm in the USA. Chickens lay a certain amount of eggs whether you take them or not. If you're worried about them laying more to replace, use dummy eggs, just as you would a cockatiel hen. As a chicken owner, your job is to make sure they get their calcium, they don't need eggs to do it. In fact, the ONLY time they'd resort to eating their own eggs is if they're lacking the nutrients, which would be the fault of the owner.

I don't need to watch some random girl on youtube rant about eggs, I've done plenty of my own research. That's why I was asking you about the backyard eggs, as it's the first I've heard it being brought up.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also grew up on a farm in the USA. Chickens lay a certain amount of eggs whether you take them or not. If you're worried about them laying more to replace, use dummy eggs, just as you would a cockatiel hen. As a chicken owner, your job is to make sure they get their calcium, they don't need eggs to do it. In fact, the ONLY time they'd resort to eating their own eggs is if they're lacking the nutrients, which would be the fault of the owner.

I don't need to watch some random girl on youtube rant about eggs, I've done plenty of my own research. That's why I was asking you about the backyard eggs, as it's the first I've heard it being brought up.
What you just stated clearly proves why you should educate further. Chickens most certainly do NOT lay the same amount of eggs regardless of whether you take the eggs or not. Chickens eating their own eggs is a perfectly natural means of replenishing the loss of nutrients the hen experiences from laying eggs. Thus, why factory hens who have their sensitive beaks cut off become so depleted many die before they even reach slaughter.

If you guys feels it is ETHICAL not to mention HEALTHY to consume animal products and taking the eggs of chickens (eggs that do not belong to you) then by all means do it. I have removed myself from this thread. I have had enough.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What you just stated clearly proves why you should educate further. Chickens most certainly do NOT lay the same amount of eggs regardless of whether you take the eggs or not. Chickens eating their own eggs is a perfectly natural means of replenishing the loss of nutrients the hen experiences from laying eggs. Thus, why factory hens who have their sensitive beaks cut off become so depleted many die before they even reach slaughter.

If you guys feels it is ETHICAL not to mention HEALTHY to consume animal products and taking the eggs of chickens (eggs that do not belong to you) then by all means do it. I have removed myself from this thread. I have had enough.
There are many breeds of chickens. Maybe the ones you had didn't lay all the time, but most of the ones available in the US do, it's just what they ended up being bred to do.

Chickens eating their own eggs is poor animal husbandry. It means there's a nutrient deficiency. They can become deficient in the wild and will eat what is available to them. It is our job as owners to provide them with a healthy diet so they don't have to resort to that, just as it's our job as cockatiel owners to give our tiels a healthy diet so they don't have to struggle like they would in the wild.

Factory farm chickens have their beaks seared off so they don't peck each other to death in their cramped cages. They can't even reach their eggs (which go down a metal tube to be collected).

I have already said I DO NOT EAT MEAT. I was asking you a question you refused to answer but seem so invested in educating everyone about.

Also, it's not really 'healthy' to eat eggs,at least not all the time. They have the most about of bad cholesterol of any type of food. But they do contain a LOT of nutrients. As for ethics, most of the chickens I see will destroy eggs on their own, just roll them around like toys, or just wander off and forget about them forever and lay some more later and do the same.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm fully aware that eggs contain the highest amount of cholesterol than anything else. There are far BETTER and HEALTHIER ways to get nutrients than from eggs without the HARMFUL effects of eggs.

My whole point in the post I was accused of being "rude" or harsh (I was simply stating FACTS) is too many are living in DISCONNECT. That is simply the REALITY. To be afraid to sign a petition yet sit down at the dinner table to consume other living beings (animals) that were ABUSED and tortured their entire lives and then NEEDLESSLY slaughtered... there is a DISCONNECT there (contradiction or to have blind folds on). To freak out over an injured dog on side of the road but then give a hoot about the cow, pig or chicken going through immense pain and suffering (this includes dairy cows). When the baby cow is taken away from its mother the mom cries and cries for several days afterwards. I have witnessed this horror. That is called DISCONNECT. One is a commodity "product" and the other is given empathy and love and protection. To love and protect a tiel but then abuse and slaughter another bird (a chicken) it is not logical and is all stemmed from society driven by mad PROFITS from powerful corporations. The meat/dairy industry it is sickening how powerful they are.
If all slaughter houses had glass walls... more would be vegan. It is simple as that. You might not like what I am saying but it is the truth. Take it or leave it. Anyone here who wants to contribute to that industry which is destroying the planet, harming innocent animals and human health... go for it but I sure as heck won't stand to be put down for stating FACTS.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.