Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 male cockateils they are father and son, the female died about 3 years ago, they were doing fine in the same cage until they started fighting all the time, so we seperated them and now in different cages next to each other they have gotten agressive and will try to bite when trying to feed and water them, so what do i do?....its a shame i have to keep them seperated ....any ideas??????:wf grey:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fighters

the oldest one is about 15 years old hes harley and the other one his son is about 6 years old and no they havent been out of their cage cause all they do is bite......harley use to when we first got him, then wwe got a female and he became protective i guess and he would try biting then......now the son....spock has never ...he has learned to bits cause of harley

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh sounds like a tough situation. Not sure if it’s hornmonal related or if the birds are scared of hands. I would try to curb their hormones just in case, by giving them longer nights . 14 hours of rest, for two weeks, no nesting areas, some new toys in their cage , foraging and start them on a healthier diet if they aren’t already. All seed diets promote breeding , and increase their hormones, making them frustrated sometimes and more cranky. Then I would attempt to get them a little more used / tame with treat bribery and spending more time near their cage without your hands inside. Once you get to the point of teaching them to step up on a perch, u can then let them come out of the cage on their own, or on a perch. One at a time at first, eventually having both outside to see how they respond to each other. Good luck, it will take time and patience.

This is based on what I have read and am not an expert, I just read a lot about parrots. Maybe others can offer some suggestions as well :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
All of my four tiels are rescues, and two of them were very unfriendly when I took them in. I am fortunate that I have a room where they can fly around freely, and they have been flying around happily for about five years now. It seems to me that the exercise and freedom really changes things for them. They are happy and much less likely to argue. They also are super happy to see me when I come and visit with them. I give them a bird bath and lots of box structures to climb around and play in and chew up. If there is any way you can let them out to fly around for a few days, I'll bet their personalities would really change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two males age 15 and 8 and they share a cage and also a large perching stand. They live in one of our bedrooms converted for them. They have an open cage all the time. They fly around a lot and also love to run around the floor. If you could give them time out of the cage that may help. Hope this helps you..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Lindamary71. I have a male tiel (Coby) who is around 8 years old and I am birdsitting a female (Trumpette) who is close to 3 years old. From what I understand, Coby has always been a solitary bird whereas, Trumpette, had always had a friend (probably her sister) since the day she was born. At first, Coby didn't take too kindly to having another bird here. I had only had him for about 5 months before I started birdsitting the female tiel. Anyway, I just happened to be on vacation the week I started birdsitting so I decided I was just going to go for it and let them both out of their cages at the same time figuring, if I saw them fighting or not getting along, I could always put one back in the cage and let them out at separate times. I was pleasantly surprised to see they did just fine. The only time he would go to bite her was if she got too close to him. He still does that, from time to time, but she has learned to defend herself and stand up to him now but I always break it up if I see them going at it. In fact, this morning I caught them mating so I guess they don't dislike each other as much as they make it appear sometimes.......lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts