Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I am not sure where this post should go so I decided to put it on Talk because of bigger visibility - please move it if it's inappropriate.

Does any of the british TC folks know of a Charity called "Birdline UK Parrot Rescue"? Is anyone here a member?
I found out about them just a few days ago. They are a Charity who operates on all the territory and take in unwanted birds, and then try to rehome them with suitable families.
They have a VERY long rehoming list, and reading some of the birds' listings is heartbreaking. I wasn't even aware that there are so many in need of a new home!
Anyway I just joined and applied for safehousing with them, and I was wondering if someone here has had any experience with them, ie. adopted one of their rescues or safehousing.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are welcome! The membership requires a £25 donation but that's only if one is interested in adopting or fostering; most of the forum and all the rehoming lists are completely accessible to everyone.
I have been researching a bit and looking for good British parrot Charities, but only came across this one; if you know of any reputable ones please let me know.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great, catalinadee, thank you!
I am already in touch with my ACO and will have the house inspection next Tuesday... wish me luck :) BUT I am quite worried about the inspection. Is there anything I can do in these next two days to improve my chances? Maybe common safety precautions I haven't thought of, or difficult questions I might be asked.
Also, one big doubt I have is the following: my birds live outside the cage all day. IF I get the chance of being a safehouse, I would like the "guest" to be out of the cage as much as he/she likes. When the moment arrives for them to be rehomed, won't it be harder for them to go back to a cage routine? Will the free ranging make them more difficult to rehome?
And I would love to know how your safehouse experience has been. How was your first guest? Did you care for a challenging bird or you were gradually introduced to the more difficult situations?
Your foster birds: were they your safehouse guests and then you decided to foster them permanently?
I am sorry, this is a lot of questions!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question: I have been told that since I have small birds I will most likely have small bird guests. Does that mean just cockatiels or other small parrots too?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Honestly, I got my self so worked up about my home checks that I almost threw up! I was a complete drama queen. I worried about seed husks being flapped around the room haha. I couldn't answer regarding the birds being out of their cage all day long, but I can say that when you do your evaluations you can state how long you have been having the bird out and that way the potential foster home will know that he/she has to be out all day and such :)

My current safe houses are 3 lories/lorikeets however they are safe house with opportunity to foster. That was the original intention. I just had to see how they got on here but they will end up permanent residents. My one foster bird, a dusky lory, passed away yesterday. He had liver disease sadly and was 20 years old. I had not had him very long. My other foster is a LSC2 called Malibu, I didn't safe house him before hand. Safe houses have to apply for birds in the same way anybody else would

I know for a fact that a lot of the birds I get will be challenging as I am given a wide variety, including the cockatoos. One of my SH birds at the moment has a lot of issues and had been on the list for over a year! But now he will be fostered by myself. I think that safe housing is extremely rewarding, but do be warned about having your own birds around them. Although most birds have been in BL long enough to be quarantined, some may or may not have been screened for anything so although they may be visibly healthy they could always have something underlying. You could do it at your own risk, but be careful!

Small birds could be anything from parrotlets, budgies, lovebirds, tiels and such right up to say Indian ringnecks, Senegals and other smaller species I think :D

With the interview, be yourself! I'm sure you know the basics about teflon, good diets etc. so I think you will do just fine. I kept telling my self I was going to fail and I've had SH checks and 2 foster checks!

Any more questions, keep them coming haha! Don't worry about how many, I'm happy to help :) I'm only a very new safe house though!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that part worries me a bit; I have a large and safe kitchen and that's where I quarantined all the birds, but obviously living in a flat I haven't got the possibility to properly quarantine for airborne diseases :(
I already told the ACO about my worry and I think he appreciates that... I hope I won't get a bird who's just been taken in. Do you take them to the vet yourself when they arrive to your home? My vet is the same one BL uses, I know he is good, so it would reassure me if I could be there when he sees the bird.
I am so sorry about your lory :( Did you already know that he was poorly when you got him? It is so hard not to be able to save them all, one can just try :(

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes I already knew and I said I would care for him until he passed away :( he had been hospitalised the week before and after many tests and X-rays we found that he had liver and kidney disease. He was old too so we knew he wouldn't make it much longer but I had been watching him on the list and knew I had to have him. Not many people can truly quarantine sadly, even without a flat!

Who is your avian vet? I have one of my own (I actually work with him) but they want me to use one some of them use. I have no issue with this but my vet is on their list and is a lot easier for me to get to and there's no way I'm going to let a bird die because we have to drive for hours!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Leicestershire we only have two avian vets, and one of them operates from my village... so I was pretty sure they'd have him on their list :D He is Craig Hunt, the clinic is Chine House in Sileby. Given my skint status I have to use him sparingly but still it's good to know that whatever happens I can be there in five minutes. He also performed a successful operation to remove a huge tumour on my elderly rat, a while ago, and they let me pay a HUGE bill in two instalments the last time Bubu [one of my tiels] was very sick, so I know I can rely on them.
Do they let you take your birds to the vet every time you think it's necessary? Or just when the bird is very sick?
You were saying something about evaluations. How often you report about your guests' status? Do they visit you often to see how things are?
Do you keep your own birds separated from the SH residents permanently, or just during the quarantine period? I wish I had the possibility to build an aviary, that would make everything so much easier.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like you have a good vet at hand! Let me just check to make sure he is definitely one of their usable vets... Okay yeah he's fine, he's on there :)

I take my foster birds to the vets and then usually let them know afterwards, but either way I take my birds if needs be and if it were an emergency they would be seeing my personal avian vet. With a SH bird, I'd contact an ACO straight away and inform them of the issue. You do not pay for the SH vets bills but a foster bird is your responsibility

I believe regarding the write ups, you do these once you feel the bird has settled in. You get a form to fill out with information, very nice and easy :)

My birds are not near my SH birds as of current, but like I said, these guys are staying. If I were to have more SH birds right now they would not be anywhere near my others

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Could you do me a favour and check for vets in Plymouth or immediate area? I haven't seen any avians so I went with one that looked good enough. I'm wondering if there's a trusted one around that I haven't seen.

Thank you!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Could you do me a favour and check for vets in Plymouth or immediate area? I haven't seen any avians so I went with one that looked good enough. I'm wondering if there's a trusted one around that I haven't seen.

Thank you!
Although they may not be very close to you, they're still in Devon. Only ones I could find, sorry!

There's Ian Sayers at Silverton Vets. They can be found at 8 Grosvenor Road, Paignton, Devon TQ4 5AY and the phone number is 01803 558588

And there is also Chris Vogt at the Polsloe Veterinary Centre. The address is 25 Park Road, Mount Pleasant, Exeter, EX1 2HS and the phone number is 01392 436006

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Although they may not be very close to you, they're still in Devon. Only ones I could find, sorry!

There's Ian Sayers at Silverton Vets. They can be found at 8 Grosvenor Road, Paignton, Devon TQ4 5AY and the phone number is 01803 558588

And there is also Chris Vogt at the Polsloe Veterinary Centre. The address is 25 Park Road, Mount Pleasant, Exeter, EX1 2HS and the phone number is 01392 436006
Thank you! I had a feeling they were all going to be in the sticks lol. It's pretty grim down south :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little update

Today was the big day... My house inspection :D
It was actually a very informal thing; I soon forgot about the nerves and just enjoyed the chat. It doesn't happen often, to me, to meet someone who loves birds as much as I do... actually it NEVER happened before. Very interesting.
The birdies were well behaved most of the time... and Fifi, MY LITTLE FIFI!!! decided it was the right time to have sex with Yoghi. Never had happened before, I was starting to think that she was not interested in mating... anyway it was quite funny, with all the usual commotion and falling over, and Frank pecking at Yoghi :lol::lol::lol:
IF everything goes well and I am accepted, my guests will arrive this Sunday: two little conures.
Now I'm nervous again... I fervently hope that they'll approve us!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nothing to worry about, see ;)

I cannot see why you wouldn't be approved. As long as you're capable of caring for the birds correctly and providing them with a safe environment you would be welcomed. Safe houses are in huge demand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts