Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just put some birdie bread in the oven first time ever i made that so i,ll keep you posted what the birds say about it they had some that was given to me but not like this one

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
the 1st time i gave it to my birds, they picked at it but didn't eat much of it, and every time we gave it to them they'd eat more of it, now they devour it within minutes of it bieng given to them... most are running at the bowl we store it in as soon as we walk in the room with it , we can change the type and color of bowl its in and they still know what it is

so don't give up :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
I made birdie bread for the first time a couple days ago, never heard of it previously, and the 'tiels just went crazy for it. I actually had to take it away so they didn't make themselves sick! Then I gave it to the budgies and they wouldn't touch it. Our lovebird just stared at it with the most curious expression on her face, so maybe I can convince her to try it sometime.

I do have a question about it however; can they get too much egg? I used two large eggs and the total recipe made enough to fill one muffin tin. And how often do they get it? I'm thinking once per week would be sufficient.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It only made one muffin? or are you talking a whole pan 12 muffins? I use two eggs in mine as well but I use the tiny muffin tins that have 24 so it usually makes about 30 small muffins by the time I am finished and my birds get it every morning for breakfast. you could always try cutting it in half and giving a smaller portion if you feel its to much at one sitting I don't think they will eat enough to make themselves sick though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry Laura, I wasn't too clear on what 'one muffin tin' means. lol I used the regular size muffin pan that holds 12 muffins and the mix filled each one to the top. Maybe one egg would be enough next time. :D I did give them just half of the muffin, and I'm glad to hear that you think the 'tiels would stop when they should, I did have concerns :eek: lol

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
some of the mixes i use call for one egg some are 2 eggs, I usally use 2-3 packages (we make alot of it, keep a bowl full in the fridge and freeze the rest

but i also add 2 hard boiled eggs smashed up shells and all, plus to the mix from following the dirrections (1 egg or 2 eggs depending what brand i'm using) the shells go in with it too

we feed it to them every other day to every 3rd day and they'll dive in at first and some do eat it all at once (but thats 2 or 3 birds eating out of one bowl) sometimes they'll dive into it eat non stop for a min or 2 then stop and then go back for more several times but usally within 30 mins of giving it to them its just a few crumbs left over

we use a cake pan or bread pans to make ours and cut it into squares, and the size they're given depends on how many birds are eating out of that dish and if they're breeding or not (so the budgies 2 per cage) get a bit more then 2 tiels in a cage) but the community cage that has 4 tiels and budgies in and out all day get a big piece

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Sorry Laura, I wasn't too clear on what 'one muffin tin' means. lol I used the regular size muffin pan that holds 12 muffins and the mix filled each one to the top. Maybe one egg would be enough next time. :D I did give them just half of the muffin, and I'm glad to hear that you think the 'tiels would stop when they should, I did have concerns :eek: lol
hehe... Ann thank you for clearing that up I figured you meant 12 muffins but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was thinking of doing this recipe for the tiels because i have all the ingrediants in the cuboard but i havent got apple sauce what can i replace it with?

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
8tsp baking powder
4 eggs w/shells
1 1/2 cups applesauce
2 cups apple juice
4 tbs peanut butter
2 cups seed
2 cups mixed veggies
1 can fruit cocktail

Mix and pour in greased 9x12 pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 min. Cut in bars, cool and serve.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
You could just leave it out, there are so many variations to birdie bread mine is basically the same except for the applesauce, apple juice and the fruit cocktail and peanut butter and I just use less ingredients I only use 2 tsp baking powder and two eggs, you can make it so many different ways by adding and removing things :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks Laura I have been waiting patiently for someone to reply. I will let everyone no what my babies think of it hopefully it will turn out ok ( lol i tend to burn things) I think I will have to keep an eye on it im doing chili con carne tonight so ill cook it at the same time:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.