Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one had a good birdie bread recipe that doesn't have some kind of pre-packed mix as the base. Also, can you freeze and store birdie bread, or does it need to be used in a few days?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I use to make it with a pre packed mix until I found out the corn mix I was using had lard. :eek::mad: (I don't eat any meat besides fish). I'm glad I didn't eat it but either way I stopped using it and made it from stratch. Anything that's not good enough for me is not good enough for the babies. They seem to like mine better and it's heathier since I know what goes in it. Ok..there's not really any exact measurements but I'll try to estimate.

1 cups of flour *whatever kind you like best*
1/2 cup of corn meal *I mix mine half fine and half course but either is fine*
1/2 cup of crushed pellets *optional* you can always increase either the corn meal or the flour instead by 1/2 cup)
2 whole eggs (I use the shell also)
2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil (optional)
1 cup of water and/or juice * NOT STORE BOUGHT since it has way to much sugar- you can make your own -eg. orange juice is a great one*
1 1/2 cups chopped veggies/fruits and nuts mix *whatever they like best*

Mix all those up really well until it's smooth and pour into a birdie safe baking pan. I like to use a muffin pan since it's easy to store that way. Bake for about 20-30 mins until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle. Let cool, cut and wrap remainder in reynolds wrap or a ziploc bag. I freeze them for up to 2 mths. I like doing it this way since I can add or take away anything I want.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It's about time I make more..I ran out a while ago. They only get it once in a while. I think adding veggies, pellets, fruits..etc in bread gets them to eat more stuff that they normally wouldn't go for. I like to add banana in mine which they don't eat otherwise. Goodluck making it and have fun. . I forgot to add bake at 350 or so.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Here is one I tried Georgie loved it :D Its pretty similar to Aly's I think the only extra thing I added was rice its quick and easy I used one of those small cupcake tin's that holds 24 and they are the perfect size to freeze and take one out at a time and defrost

1 cup plain corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup "no sugar-added" applesauce
1/2 pasteurized apple juice
1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed ( or whatever veggies you choose)
1/3 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/3 cup pellets or seeds

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients well Bake for 25-30 minutes. ( mine takes less time to bake because of my oven)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Here is one I tried Georgie loved it :D Its pretty similar to Aly's I think the only extra thing I added was rice its quick and easy I used one of those small cupcake tin's that holds 24 and they are the perfect size to freeze and take one out at a time and defrost

1 cup plain corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup "no sugar-added" applesauce
1/2 pasteurized apple juice
1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed ( or whatever veggies you choose)
1/3 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/3 cup pellets or seeds

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients well Bake for 25-30 minutes. ( mine takes less time to bake because of my oven)

That sounds good too. I add applesauce sometimes too. I like birdie bread- you can add whatever you like to it.:p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Its pretty easy to make birdie bread and with the veggies and fruit you can just throw in anything you have I added some parsley to mine to and they ate it up Georgie seems to like it the most she is a little piggy :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to add for any aussie or UK members, that corn meal is called polenta here. ;) I had to do a bit of research to figure that one out, and i'm glad i did cause we have lots of polenta in the cupboard. :p

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Thanks Bea.............but I've never heard of either. lol. I'll take a look in the shops though, it's not the sort of thing that I have ever had to buy, so there could be shelf loads of it for all I know.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'll try either one/both of these recipes, thanks! Willow does seem to like bread, so I'm sure "Birdie Bread" will please her even more! ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bea.............but I've never heard of either. lol. I'll take a look in the shops though, it's not the sort of thing that I have ever had to buy, so there could be shelf loads of it for all I know.
I hadn't either until we needed it for a recipe last week. :p At least you know the name of what you're looking for though.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just letting you know that i made a batch today and it worked out nicely! :D I mixed in broccoli and grated carrot as the veggies. I'm going to offer it to the feathered food critics tonight. ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my spoilt brats didn't think much of it....or at least they don't YET. :rolleyes: Fizzy was the only one game to try it properly and he seemed to like it. I haven't tried it with Gracie yet either, so i might have more luck with her. :p

PS - hard to believe, but i didn't take pics. :eek:

·
Registered
120 Posts
This sounds great, I am definitely going to try to make some of this on the weekend!! Thanks guys for your excellent recipes! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been looking for something healthy and good to make for Sunny latley. He loves ripping apart bread, so this should be great for him. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you can use this recipe with a tiel or budgie. I haven't tried it yet but it looks to be a good recipe and I'll probably make some later.

Ingredients
2 cups pellets
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup wheat flour
2-3 jars of baby food
(two fruits and a veggie)
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 eggs with shells
1/2 cup peanut butter
Pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg

These below depend on how much you want (around 1/2 cup)
Raisins, cranberries, nuts, and corn
and other fruits or veggies you want, or that your birds like..:rolleyes:

Directions
Mix together all ingredients.
Add to that batter chopped raisins , cranberries , nuts , and corn.
Pour into greased baking dish.
Sprinkle top with extra egg shells if desired,
Bake at 400 degrees for one hour. ( Cooking time will differ with ovens ,so after about 45-55 minutes test your bread with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.)
Cool,cut,and freeze. Thaw as needed and keep refrigerated.

Enjoy and best of luck!
Jordan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts