Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to splurge and buy a bunch of new toys for the birds. I'm searching eBay and there's a lot of good ones that are from china/hong kong. I want to order some but i'm kind of worried about them being unsafe/unhealthy for my fids.

What do you think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have seen them too and given them a pass because of this concern. I don't know if they are safe so I just assumed the worst given lack of evidence otherwise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Most you buy in a pet shop already came from China, I doubt it's that dangerous.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually all of our toys are australian made, and this was the main reason i'm concerned about buying the chinese toys. I was just tempted by the possibility of getting out of it a bit cheaper rather than paying like $20 for a medium ladder lol.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
To be honest I would go on the safe side Why dont you try www.mysafebirdstore.com ?The toys there might seem a bit expensive but theyre safe. We used to buy from them until our Custom and Excise people went crazy and started to charge ridiculous feed for the parcela so we are trying to find a way to carry on buying abroad, due to the fact that Brazil lacks technology in birds toys

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably just keep buying them from where I usually get them. It's a little family owned bird & small animal supply store just out of town and they hand make all of their toys. They're really good quality and they always last my birds ages, but a little pricey. But at the same time, if I was to buy them online from overseas the shipping would cost me a bomb anyway (just about need to sell a kidney to cover the cost of shipping to here from o/s -_-).

The possibility of spending $50 and getting a ton of new toys for all 7 birds was very tempting but i'd rather not risk their lives to save a few dollars. Sounds a little dramatic I know, but we all know how easily birds can catch stuff and how difficult it can be to see an illness before it's too late.

Thanks for the input though guys :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow! Some of those BirdSafe toys look pretty spendy.

I've been buying from Fosters and Smith for a few years now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I usually buy their toys from the pet shop but I really don't know where are they made. The safe bird store looks nice, sad I live in Spain >_<

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I wish we could have a shop similar to the one you mentioned in your post here . Unfortunately , Brazil hasnt got a lot to offer in terms of bird toys. Lets keep paying ridiculous Import fees then ! Oh bogger ! Hahaha X x Teresa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts