Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I'm sure a few of you have heard that my baby died, we think it may have been fumes. We had some toys for her and I was wondering if I would have to toss them or if I can clean them. I want to know if the toys can collect the fumes.

I wonder this because we will hopefully be getting a Quaker parrot late summer to mid fall and I wanted to keep the toys so save a little money. If I did would I need to clean them or is there no hope or will it be fine? Here are the toys and perches we have:
Paint Yellow Tree Art Tints and shades
Art Natural material Paint Entertainment Event

I also have a rope perch and a cement perch that I will hopefully be keeping, we have a cuttlebone and some cockatiel food bags that I was planning on either A, giving it away to some other bird owner, or B, giving it to our chickens, or C, tossing it. Can people let me know cleaning methods for these stuff? Also we have guinea pigs so if any of the toys are safe for them that would be great!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey so I'm sure a few of you have heard that my baby died, we think it may have been fumes. We had some toys for her and I was wondering if I would have to toss them or if I can clean them. I want to know if the toys can collect the fumes.

I wonder this because we will hopefully be getting a Quaker parrot late summer to mid fall and I wanted to keep the toys so save a little money. If I did would I need to clean them or is there no hope or will it be fine? Here are the toys and perches we have: View attachment 93334 View attachment 93335
I also have a rope perch and a cement perch that I will hopefully be keeping, we have a cuttlebone and some cockatiel food bags that I was planning on either A, giving it away to some other bird owner, or B, giving it to our chickens, or C, tossing it. Can people let me know cleaning methods for these stuff? Also we have guinea pigs so if any of the toys are safe for them that would be great!
I think they are fine to use again, but make sure to clean they very well with soap and water. Do not use any other cleaning products because they also have fumes which can harm the new bird.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they are fine to use again, but make sure to clean they very well with soap and water. Do not use any other cleaning products because they also have fumes which can harm the new bird.
Ok you think Dawn will work? Also how do I wash the cement perch? And can i put the rope products in the washer? If so any particular soap for it? (P.s. the cement perch has a good deal of blood on it, my first bird before the one that died because of fumes, was bleeding we think he kept getting his nail caught in the food bowl and kept getting it caught, we couldn't clean it off the first time because the "cement" part of it kept rubbing off. Should we just toss that one and buy another later?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok you think Dawn will work? Also how do I wash the cement perch? And can i put the rope products in the washer? If so any particular soap for it? (P.s. the cement perch has a good deal of blood on it, my first bird before the one that died because of fumes, was bleeding we think he kept getting his nail caught in the food bowl and kept getting it caught, we couldn't clean it off the first time because the "cement" part of it kept rubbing off. Should we just toss that one and buy another later?
I’m sure dawn will work. I think you can put the rope products in the wash and I don’t think the soap matters when you put it in the washing machine. I think you should get rid of the cement perch if it has blood on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anytime. And sorry for the birdy.
It's all good, it seems cockatiels are way more fragile than I knew. We were going to try a heartier bird species and over think EVERYTHING. We were going to try a green cheek conure /conure or a Quaker parrot maybe another larger bird. Do you know of any less fragile birds? Not huge birds but ones that I can still have on my finger. Also if we can get it from a New York petstore that would be nice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's all good, it seems cockatiels are way more fragile than I knew. We were going to try a heartier bird species and over think EVERYTHING. We were going to try a green cheek conure /conure or a Quaker parrot maybe another larger bird. Do you know of any less fragile birds? Not huge birds but ones that I can still have on my finger. Also if we can get it from a New York petstore that would be nice.
I mean you would still have to keep the same precautions , but I’m not sure since I only have cockatiels

·
Registered
12 Posts
My baby boy (cockatiel) was 24 1/2 years old when he passed. I got rid of toys, donated some, and kept some. I washed them with Dawn soap and hot water obviously rinsing everything really well. Many thing I put in the dishwasher and ran a load that had no soap. Cockatiel or not their airways are the same so having a heartier bird wouldn't mean being able to have a bird that could handle more if that makes sense. if you think it was fumes I wouldn't reuse something that could maintain a smell. I am very sensory sensitive so I could wash something and if there is still scent smell or feel it. I wouldn't ultimately take the chance though. To me it just wouldn't be worth it if that makes sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts