Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made loads of changes around here, and I thought I found a good door replacement in a double net fixed to the door frame, blocking the fids from going out of the room.

It mainly works, but has transformed Bubu in a demented Spiderman.
See picture below:

He will stay there hanging from it doing his best sad crying baby sound, which was funny for the first 7 minutes.

I think all the others will pick up on that behaviour and I will have 6 birds hanging from the net in a couple of days. I am pretty sure it's dangerous too!

Is there any alternative way to have a "soft" door? How do you guys close your bird rooms? with screens?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have purpose made mesh screens on the doors and windows. Birdie will still fly to the screen and hang there but she can fly back to me when she' s ready. Perhaps you could have one made in a frame which fits the door opening snuggly. The advantage of the mesh is that they don't get their claws stuck in them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I actually took a bi-fold closet door and adapted it. It does have about a 12" grill inset into one side for airflow and added a counterweight and a pulley to make the door self closing. (also keeps the cats out)

Cara will at times sit on the corner of the cage closest to the door and yell if I'm in the living room watching TV. Otherwise they pretty much ignore the door.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bead door curtain, like they used in the 70s. The birds are afraid of the beads, so they steer clear, but it lets light and air and sound through as if there's no barrier at all. The down side is if you have dogs or cats you want to keep out. Beads won't stop them. Which is why we have an interior screen door now, since we got a dog who can't be trusted. Our other dogs can and were allowed to come and go freely through the birds' room. You can buy screen doors at home improvement stores or build one fairly cheaply if you're handy or know someone who is.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A light frame with mesh sounds very good. Still I'd like to avoid anything hard where they can get crushed between door and frame.
I have no cats or dogs so probably the bead curtain is an excellent possibility, I forgot all about those! Won't they try to grab it? or fly into it?
Ghosth aren't you afraid that your birds might get stuck in the self-closing door?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was going to put a screen up to block mine from following me out of the room too but now I am worried they will just hang on it too and hurt themselves. The one I got (and have yet to put up) is the magnetic screen, the kind that closes after you walk through.

·
Registered
97 Posts
could you possibly just build a light wooden.frame that covers the area the door utilises? as they do.in walk.in aviaries to prevent birds from escaping.but have it inverted so.the blocked off section covers the door and all its hinges etc?? you could just cover it in mesh,.do i make sense at.all? it does in my head but i can picture what i mean?? :s

·
Registered
593 Posts
In the last year I've never seen any of the birds try to follow me out the door. To get squished would be very hard, as they would have to be hanging on the doorframe where there is nothing to sit, perch, hang on.

I have seen them a few times get scared and end up on the grill, but I just go remove them from there.

One other thing the door I'm using is lightweight, and closes fairly slowly. So if Cara did try to follow he'd either make it through and the door is no issue. Or, he'd have plenty of time to avoid the now closing door.

But, I only have 2 birds, not 6. And they have been pretty much trained that while I may leave at any point chances are very high that I'll be back shortly. They get all of me they want every day, so they tend to not fly after me. Your situation may be different.

I suspect a light screen door would be ideal.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no lol!

Maybe try some sort of aviary netting door? Or curtains?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Its very flowey netting

Why don't you just use a dark curtain that goes to the floor so they think its a wall or something?
Or you can use those blinds that are on a sideways track

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the flowing doesn't help, especially since they walk a lot and if there is even a small
opening they will just waddle their way out... like Trill and Bubu did this morning :(
Blinds on a sideway track are also a good idea, the only thing is that to check on them I'd have to slide it open, as opposed to just peer through the net/mesh without them even noticing that I am there.
I am rethinking the idea of your closet door, Ghosth. I am not sure I got it: is it in some plastic material? one of those that fold in half? Could you please post a picture of it?
Because if it's how I think, I could use that, without the self-closing mechanism.
Is it one of those doors that fold in half? Concertina doors are called.
This is a pic of one:

or this

Those are extremely light and I cant think they'd inflict any damage, and I could inset some mesh so that I could look in the room from outside.
You all have great solutions and ideas, thank you for sharing :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Mine is the kind that folds in half, light weight. Its basicly a 1x1 wood frame with 1/8th inch veneer on each side and cardboard zig zagged back and forth between to make it more rigid.

I've had a really long hard day dealing with a broken water supply line to my house. I'll try to post a pic in the morning. Although I think that concertina type might work well also.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'd be slightly paranoid of squishing the bird in between one of the panels when opening it if its like an accordion style door

I guess if you modify it to see in it wouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
593 Posts
Turn it around, part the comes together is in the hallway, so no way to squish a bird.

But I think a simple wood screen door would work as well. I would have it open out from the bird room not into it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a fine metal mesh door which slides aside on tracks so there is no problem seeing through to check on Birdie if I need to.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have an upstairs hallway I want to eventually block off and I was thinking of a fabric shower curtain. The curtain rod would be easy to install and take down with no nail holes, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The vertical blinds would probably work as well as any thing else. You can open with a draw cord or just push them over to enter or exit but you would have to make sure they are shut flush.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts