Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:blink:So after reading up on proper cockatiel diets I've learned how bad most store bought bird feed can be when it mostly consists of seed. I have yet to find pellets in regular grocery stores and have never thought to look for them in actual pet stores. So I tried a little experiment with my 3 cockatiels and started giving them grape nuts and regular cheerios (not honey nut) and they are starting to love it...or just eat it out of necessity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My question is will this be enough for their nutritional needs? A box of Cheerios and a box of Grape Nuts together are still cheaper than a bag of pellets and both cereals have probably the most amounts of vitamins in any cereal. I know it’s a huge improvement from store bought seed but I don't want to keep them from the nutrition that they need.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
just giving them cereal is not enough and only feeding them that will not be enough to keep them alive, its not a natural diet for a cockatiel although seed itself isn't there whole diet they do need it in there diet, they also need veggies and fruits and many other healthy foods that we eat. My cockatiels only get a small amount of seed a day as it is essential in there diet they also get pellets and lots of veggies, birdie bread, eggs etc. Just like us humans variety is the key to keeping your cockatiel healthy and happy :)

Here is a link to a food pyramid giving amounts of what a cockatiels daily diet should be like
http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=1452

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
another good leafy green is kale and bok Choy. Your best off feeding veggies, seeds and pellets. Some people believe a all seed diet is bad, others believe a all pellet diet is bad. My guys get veggies such as corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, kale, cauliflower ect. Tiels don't need many fruits. I also feed eggs, chicken & rice. You could also look into buying some Egg food from a pet store and add veggies into it once you have made it. There are many things out for birds that are healthy. You could try beak appetite. They have quite the few. I think veggie delight sounds great. I'm looking forward to trying some myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow ok. I noticed Avenger reaching for some of my chicken once but I thought that would be like eating one of her own. I'll try it next time...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
you can cook it the same way you would cook it for yourself, just make sure there is no added things on it, plain cooked lean chicken is best.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think pellets are over rated. See if you can find a reasonable seed mix at a pet shop (because you're right, supermarket brands are often rubbish) and then supplement it with lots of fresh foods like Laura and everyone else suggested. My guys don't get pellets as a major part of their diet because i can't easily get any good quality pellets, so there's little point me feeding them. I'm going to try cheerios as a treat sometime soon, i've been meaning to for a while now!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I did feed pellets to Nagano but when i read up on what alternatives there are and there lots i just use a parrot seed mix and other fresh food (its also allot cheaper and Nagano didn't like the pellets that much anyway :p!)so i never fed Flicky pellets and gave him a balanced like the one in Bea's pyramid which is a very useful thread!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know for sure. I would assume just like for humans. Get all that bacteria out before you serve it. maybe no rooster sauce or bullseye bbq sauce on it though. I really thought Grape Nuts and Cheerios would be just as good as pellets. I'm gonna have to look up the make up of pellets and see the difference. Gonna buy some apples for the ladies as well this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My birds eat the cheerios once in a while but they really took to the grape nuts. They hardly gorge themselves on regular seed now that I went one day of mostly grape nuts in there dishes. They used to pig out on plain seed.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Keep in mind seed and pellets were made and designed for birds with the right nutrients for them grape nut is not made for birds it has sugars in it which is not a cockatiels natural diet as far as gorging on the seed maybe only give them the amount they would need in a day and that will take care of that problem.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would get some cockatiel food at the pet store and some veggies and fruits at the grocery store aswell. That way you know they are getting the nutrition they need.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I find my 'tiels love organic spinach, they cluck and roll their eyes in bliss almost every time I give it too them.

I was doing a little research online about different types of food that's out there and ran across a company who sells a mix which has all kinds of interesting fruits, veggies and nuts in it and it's suppose to be fortified with vitamins and minerals. Does any one have any opinions about these kinds of diets? I'm thinking that it would be good to mix with the regular seed diet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
http://www.petco.com/product/10049/Kaytee-Exact-Original-Premium-Daily-Nutrition-for-Cockatiels.aspx

That's what I buy from my bird. $10 at the local Petco. Surprisingly, they have quite a variety of brands to choose from. Settled on the Kaytee simply because Sam didn't want the others.

Right now he gets a spoonful of seed in the morning + scrambled eggs if I have time to make some before class, fresh plate of veggies in the afternoon, some kind of fruit during dinner (he has his own plate at the dinner table), and pellets are always available in his feed dish.

Also found this mix of dried fruit, all organic, no added sweeteners or preservatives etc. at Whole foods the other day. Sam is absolutely loving it probably because he can get a good chew going with his beak.
________
Best vaporizer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts