Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Talk Cockatiels! :)

Thank you so much for helping me with my issues.

I have two lovely, middle-aged, male cockatiels. One I've had forever and one I adopted a few months ago. Sometimes they talk/call to one other. But I want them to get along better.

They live in the same cage, maybe 2x2x3. I leave it open all day. One bird likes to fly around sometimes, but the other bird sticks close to the cage. I put 3 food dishes, 3 water dishes, 7 mirrors, and several toys in the cage so they wouldn't have anything to fight over. Still there is one corner of the cage that they both prefer to sit in, I think based on its location.

The birds seem afraid of one another. They usually keep a distance of at least a foot or two. If one goes near the other when trying to maneuver around the cage, they both open their beaks and look hostile. Sometimes one bird lunges his head and hisses at the other. I haven't seen either actually bite the other, because one bird always ends up scurrying away.

The situation makes me sad for two reasons: 1) The birds have to constantly worry about avoiding the other or about having a conflict, and 2) I wish they would become good friends, stand close to one another, and groom one another, because I think they both crave closeness. (They both love attention from me. One likes me to pet his head. The other puts his face to my face but is afraid of me petting him. But I work long hours and so I want them to give each other attention directly.)

Questions:

1) What can I do to make the birds trust and like one another?

2) Should I put them in separate cages, so they'll have less conflict? Or keep them together until they get over their fear?

3) Should I take away their mirrors? Both love mirrors. Maybe the mirrors get in the way of friendship with one another. Or will removing mirrors put them both in a bad mood, making them more hostile to one another?

4) What about keeping them together and making their cage bigger?

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are the best! I will put them each in their own cage, remove the mirrors, and try that moving-close-together-while-petting method! Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts