Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then Jasper will make this weird cracking noise with his beak. Its almost like he is cracking a seed hull but when I check there is no seed in his mouth. Is this normal? :confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Haha, when I first heard Philiko grinding his beak he terrified me! I was scared he had broken his beak and was grating it around or something just as horrible, but then I googled it and it came up with a description which I knew was exactly what he was doing. I was so relieved! :blush:
marty10f - does the noise kind of have a sort of zippy noise to it, if you listen closely? Like someone unzipping and zipping up a bag or something? This is what Philiko sounds like when he grinds his beak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I strangley love this sound lol my male does this last thing on a night, i love it coz he,,s happy, content & ready for bed :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, me too! Liko does it when he's falling asleep, I can tell when he's almost asleep I can hear this soft beak grinding coming from his cage :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Smokey is quite loud when he's grinding his beak, it can get a little grating!

Then i look over and see how happy he is, so he's forgiven lol :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sound is kind of like an in between mixture of zipping up a zipper and the sound he makes when he eats his seeds. He does it throughout the day, I've never heard him when I cover his cage.

Does it really mean that hes happy? Because I just bought Jasper, and he is still a little scared of me (will not step up on my finger). BUT he is singing a lot. He will let me pet his tail and stomach through the bars, but other than that, he'll give me a little nibble on my finger.

·
Registered
260 Posts
By your description, it sounds exactly like grinding his beak. What does he do while he us making the noise? This might tell you whether he is happy or not. For instance - Philiko will grind his beak when he's the happiest - when he's on my shoulder or falling asleep. Maybe your bird does it when he's finished eating and feels nice and full, or when he's dozing off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just searched for this thread to see what is going on because Bobby is sitting on my shoulder grinding his beak at this moment. He is very near my ear and sounds really loud. He was asking for the shoulder I suppose he is content!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Haha, yes that sounds exactly like my little Philiko :D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Another way to describe the sound is that, at least with my birds, it sounds like someone rubbing two pebbles together. It has that nails-on-chalkboard grating sound to it and at the same time, as others have said, they're forgiven because it's a happy noise, heeehee

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, he usually does it when he is finished eating or when he is just chilling out on his favorite perch.

Thanks! I am glad his beak was not broken or was sick!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts