Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cinnamon pearl:My Cockatiel has a lump near her butt area as you can see in the attachments. It's been there for about 4 weeks now. I took her to the bird place and they said it looks like an egg but she's not egg binding. They said I should give her broccoli, eggs, and even calcium liquid so she can get some calcium. They said I should also give her warm baths. I That area is also bald and she also has a bald spot in that area and on her chest too. THe one there on her chest have been there for a long time. She also has a lump on her rump near her tail feathers that's bald. It's been there awhile. I think she also may have a lump on her chest. I'm not sure. It looks like a lump. So, she had a lump near her butt, one on her rump, and i think one on her chest, and bald spot on her. At the bird store, they said it's probably because of her calcium defiency that all these things are happening. I've been gving her extra calcium for about 2 1/2 and no improvement. My parents won't let me take her to the vet. Any advice or help? THanks! btw, in the pictures I just took her a bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
If I were you I'd take her too a vet ASAP
That dosent look quit normal especially when it was there for 4 weeks.
Is she picking near her butt area
Did she pluck those missing feathers
This can be a life or death situation for your bird

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really sure if she's plucking. I think they just fall out. My parents won't let me take her to the vet even when I told them it was a life or death situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the whole post. I don't think she has prolaspe. there are no tissues coming out of her butt. I want to try to get her to the vet. My parents said if I have money. Maybe I can go there when they're at work and use my credit card, but I would be in sooo much trouble after they said no. I mean like they would yell and hit me and stuff. I haven't seen any improvement since I followed the advice of i got from the bird event. I'm goin to really try and get money and goin to really try to get her to a vet. If not i'll surrender her to someone who can :'(.Pray for her plz

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
It looks like it could be peritonitis, which is a swelling of fluids in certain areas, whatever it is it is not normal and I really hope you see an avian vet. http://m525.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Mousebirds-and-more/Other birds/Eggs and Reproductive system/peritonitus-ILLUS-2.jpg.html?o=46

Also I'm not going to delete your pictures because of their medical significance but for future reference
we do not allow picture of cockatiels outside without the security of a harness or cage because its very dangerous, http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=13369

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how is that dangerous? keep the pictures there please. I'm doing my best. her behavior is fine she's not fluffed up on the ground she seems happy. she walks around when i let her play, etc. but her lump and everything. she doesn't look normal.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
She won't delete the pictures because they are important for the situation she was just saying that for the futore

There is something called Care Credit that will help you get credit to pay the vet bill, and if you explain your situation to the vet they might reduce the fee for you. There's information on Care Credit at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26919

·
Registered
362 Posts
Birds will generally only start showing signs of pain or illness when it's too late. They are a prey animal and all prey animals hide their illness; being injured or sick in any way makes them vulnerable and an easy target.

This really doesn't look like something that can wait. I could be wrong, but the lump on her back almost looks like an infected or impacted preen gland, which can be fatal if left untreated.

She needs to a vet very soon. If your parents were not willing to take her to a vet, they never should have allowed the animal in their home. It's incredibly irresponsible of them. This bird needs a vet and if they aren't willing to take it and you don't have the means to do it, you may need to find someone to take her who can.

If you live in American or Canada, in many provinces and states it's illegal to deny medical care to an injured or sick animal.

ETA: Also wanted to say; I was under the impression that the bird was just in front of a wnidow in the pictures, not outside. However if it is outside, it's unsafe because even a clipped bird can still fly. Though clipping takes away their ability to gain lift, if there's a breeze, that's enough to let them take off. Many birds are lost this way.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I realize the picture I linked to on my phone was too small so here is a larger version, it is made by a very experienced breeder, Srtiels.

and some info on peritonitis :http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html,

and Ascites (fluid accumulation in general): http://talkcockatiels.com/showpost.php?p=124984&postcount=5,
You can also search past threads on the subject by using the search bar to the left or top of the web page.

Clipped cockatiels can still fly, if a gust of wind comes or they are spooked they can go pretty far, also there are many natural predators that can target your cockatiel and are not afraid of humans, such as birds of prey or even cats. This thread is on outside safety, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=13369.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If you can't pay to have this bird seen, then please take her to the vet and tell them that you want to surrender her. She is going to die if you don't.

ETA: The lump on her rump is her preen gland, but it looks infected. She has multiple critical issues that need to be treated ASAP.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I agree. In your care, she will not make it because you don't have the financial resources to get her help. Surrender her to someone who can take care of her before it is too late.

This is a tough situation, but that's all I can see to be done for her.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
This is so sad. I hope you can find her the help she needs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I feel so sad for your cockatiel. She doesn't look normal at all. She is a lutino just like mine and what I see in the pictures is not normal. You could look up an avian vet (bird Doctor) in the phone book and call. Explain to them what is going on. They might be able to take care of your cockatiel without charge. It will not hurt to call and explain what is going on with your cockatiel and your situation at home. An avian vet will be able to help. When I took BabyMoo to the vet a couple of weeks ago, I heard them talking about someone calling to have the vet treat a wild bird that was found hurt. The Dr was not going to charge the person calling and wanted to help the bird. I would really recommend calling an avian Dr and getting help through them. Your cockatiel most be suffering. This is an awful situation. No animal should suffer because their owner refuses to take them to the vet. I agree to the above. Releasing her to the vet is probably her only chance at surviving ... if she still has a chance. Even without a chance at this point, she is suffering and something needs to be done about it. :lutino:

P.S. If there are no avian vets where you live, a general vet will be good help as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to aav.org to look for a certified avian veterinarian. There's not many in my area but the closest one is For Pet's Sake in Decatur, GA. Then I went to their website (forpetssake.com) and it seemed good. So I was gonna go their, but then Today I was reading many reviews all of them from different sources (yelp, google, etc.). Many were bad saying that the place killed their pet!?! and some worser!?! and were warning people to not go. There were some good reviews, but then there was one review on yelp that said that the place is bad and that all the good reviews were clearly written by the staff!?! i'm shocked to hear bout that place and don't want to take the risk to bring my bird there. So I'm looking at another place which is 44 minutes from where i live and hopefully it has good reviews i'm scared though. If it's not good i'll have to go bout an hour. I don't care how long it is just that I don't want to inconveniece my parents or make them mad, and they won't let me drive far places by myself plus i cant bc i just got sedated. i'm stressed i've been up for a long time looking i just want to find a good vet i can trust and i certainly don't want to kill my pet!?!?! help plz

1 - 20 of 57 Posts