Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this do'nt seem a silly question. I have always been led to believe that all birds need bird grit, but on browsing the web I read that cockatiels are not supposed to be given it ,it was something to do with the gullet.
I ca'nt remember what site it was,but being a first time tiel owner I really need to know,any advice please.:wacko:confused:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It was previously thought that cockatiels needed grit , but it has been found that they do not need it and it can actually cause problems if given to cockatiels. Parrots that eat seed whole without shelling it first require grit, but cockatiels shell their seed before eating it so grit should not be provided .giving grit can irritate the digestive system or actually cause an impaction (blockage) of the crop,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Laura, I will stop giving it right away. I did ask one of the assistants at Pets at Home and explained what I had read, but not only one but two of them told me to give grit that all birds needed it. It makes you worry :(at times when you are given the wrong advice, thank goodness I thought to ask Talk Cockatiels..:clap:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thankyou Laura, I will stop giving it right away. I did ask one of the assistants at Pets at Home and explained what I had read, but not only one but two of them told me to give grit that all birds needed it. It makes you worry :(at times when you are given the wrong advice, thank goodness I thought to ask Talk Cockatiels..:clap:
Just a tip i would ask Talkcockatiels before Pets at home any day because pets at home really know very little about birds and most books are out dated from there and still recommend grit but it is not useful for Cockatiels and can be harmful! (but saying all this i am trying to get a job at pets at home because i really want to work with animals :p)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I give Earl & Little Bill grit, because the breeder gave them it, before they came to me, so he said their stomach might find it strange without it, and might cause slow digestion for the bird!! :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I used to think that it was needed. But stopped allowing Trident months ago and he had been using it for almost 2 years, it has not bothered him at all. I have also discontinued it's use with all of my other birds.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I crush egg shells into the birds hard boiled egg mash, so that's ok and a great source of calcium. :D It's definitely a waste of time to offer shell grit or anything similar, you can save the money to spend on toys, and you don't run the risk of grit related health issues like crop impaction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.