Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have something similar on my eBay watch list, but am a bit worried about the nylon, as a cockatiel can easily break it and then escape.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just got a small cat carrier and covered the bottom with soft towels. I can't say for sure, but I imagine that a cat carrier is less expensive than something made for birds, as bird-specialized items can be a bit expensive sometimes.

Also, I personally wouldn't get a carrier with a perch in it because if you had to stop suddenly or turn sharply for some reason they could fall from the perch and hurt themselves, but that's just my opinion and it's entirely up to you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
bird carrier

I also use a small pet carrier, probably designed for cats. It seems to work well for Bennie, although he doesn't appreciate being in it! But I think it is safe because the plastic is smooth and he can't chew on the metal gate. I do line the bottom with soft paper towels when I take him to the vet. Just be careful with regular towels because a birds' claws can get caught in them.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I also have a cat carrier. It works well in itself, but when I open it at the vet no matter how cautious we are he darts out and I am so afraid he hurts himself, particularly considering his neck is naked. :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just be careful with regular towels because a birds' claws can get caught in them.
I agree with this. I've got a couple towels in there from Fallen Feathers that are made for birds; we use them to line the carriers we transport raptors in. So far, Kirby hasn't had any troubles with his claws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts