Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been owned by cockatiels for 20 years. I'm a discerning buyer and want to buy from a reputable breeder. I'd prefer to go see their breeding setup, meet the parent birds, interact and hold the babies, etc., but many are reluctant to allow this due to COVID.

I live in FL but will consider traveling for the right breeder. I'm looking for healthy, well socialized, hand friendly, tame babies with a sweet temperament.

I'm looking to buy from people who: don't over breed, selectively breed for good disposition, introduce babies to vegetables and healthy foods, handle and play with babies daily, allow them to learn how to fly before clipping feathers, etc. Can anyone recommend any specific breeders? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I best guess is to reach out those breeders who breed bird for show winning instead of for profits. For any breeder who counts breeding bird for profit, it is almost mission impossible, especially in a state with so many bird breeders to compete with. Did you reach out to American cockatiel society or National cockatiel society registered breeders in FL?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I best guess is to reach out those breeders who breed bird for show winning instead of for profits. For any breeder who counts breeding bird for profit, it is almost mission impossible, especially in a state with so many bird breeders to compete with. Did you reach out to American cockatiel society or National cockatiel society registered breeders in FL?
I've contacted some show bird breeders with mixed results. Some don't raise tame hand fed babies and the ones who do didn't have any available.

For those who hobby breed, how do you prevent inbreeding if your birds aren't banded? Maybe I need to adjust my standards. Can anyone recommend breeders who raise sweet, tame birds who aren't inbred? I'll try searching the bird societies and am considering attending an NCS show next month.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've contacted some show bird breeders with mixed results. Some don't raise tame hand fed babies and the ones who do didn't have any available.

For those who hobby breed, how do you prevent inbreeding if your birds aren't banded? Maybe I need to adjust my standards. Can anyone recommend breeders who raise sweet, tame birds who aren't inbred? I'll try searching the bird societies and am considering attending an NCS show next month.
If possible, going to NCS is a good way to connect to some good breeders and buy some show quality birds if there is still for sale section.

I think, adjusting your standards is good start.

Another thought, If you have plenty of time on hands and know how to hand feed baby cockatiels, you can buy 4 weeks old babies from a breeder hand feed them by yourself. This way, you will have hand tame cockatiel, which will bond with you and you can wean them with what ever diet you prefer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts