Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have two cockatiels, who don't seem to get on well. They started to live together after 1 month of separate adaptation. The female one hisses the male and after 2 months the male started to hiss as well. My current cage is in 40.5 x 40.5 x 58 cm dimensions. (16 x 16 x 23 inches roughly)

My question is should I buy a separate cage for them or a bigger cage?

Chibi is presumably female :cinnamon pearl:
Tobi is male :cinnamon:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everyone. I have two cockatiels, who don't seem to get on well. They started to live together after 1 month of separate adaptation. The female one hisses the male and after 2 months the male started to hiss as well. My current cage is in 40.5 x 40.5 x 58 cm dimensions. (16 x 16 x 23 inches roughly)

My question is should I buy a separate cage for them or a bigger cage?

Chibi is presumably female :cinnamon pearl:
Tobi is male :cinnamon:
I do believe you may want to consider a larger cage. Or possibly two cages. I have my three tiels in a very large cage and sometimes they hiss. But they never hurt each other. Or stress each other. If you think they are hurting each other, then I would definitely consider getting another cage. Or if you think they are stressing each other, get another cage. But let them have play time together and they may eventually get along. Then you can just get one giant cage for them. The minimum size cage for one cockatiel should be 24" long by 18" wide by 24" tall. A good cage should have horizontal bars on at least two sides, as hookbills love to climb. Horizontal bars help to make climbing easier. Bar spacing should be no more than 3¼4" apart to prevent injury. That's just stuff for you to consider. They're your birds, you do what you know if right for them. As you know them better than I can even imagine.

:albino: Coconut (White Budgie)
:pied lovie: Sollux (Latino Peach-faced pied lovie)
:ylw lovie: Mituna (Latino Peach faced lovie)
:green plet: Jaden (Green Cheek Conure)
:grey tiel: Petunia (Normal grey female Tiel)
:wf grey: Echo (White faced male Tiel)
:lutino: Oz (Latino Female Tiel)
:blue and gold: Diamond (Blue and Gold macaw, male)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the answer. They don't hurt eachother, but I think Chibi is stressed since Tobi is very active in the cage. Thus I might buy the same cage and put it next to eachother, and maybe later I can unite the cages. Here is my cage https://ibb.co/yFqWBKG

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
bigger cage

Hi - yes, I agree with what has already been said: you should get a larger cage. !6 x 16 inches is too small for a single cockatiel, let alone 2. If they are used to being together, one cage is fine. Best wishes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts