Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations on really sturdy travel cages, that are small, but big enough for one tiel. And what are good emergency sick/incubation cages? The type that would fit a heating pad in the bottom to keep them extra warm? Also I guess I'm wondering what would be a good safe electric heating pad that would keep things warm overnight, all the ones I see in pharmacies are good sizes, but auto shutoff after 2-3 hours, I'm looking for someone that will stay on continously, or atleast 10 hours.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lots of people like this one for travel as it is easy to attach perches and such to. You'll have to cover the door with something, as the holes are big.

http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-23-Inch-Pet-Carrier-Round/dp/B000QJD7RI

An aquarium around 10g or large tupperware tote would work best for a hospital type cage. They hold heat/humidity better and would be easy to sterilize in case of an infectious disease. The heating pads used are reptile heating pads, found in most pet stores. Ideally I would use a ceramic heat lamp hooked up to a probe-type thermostat and a hygrometer to monitor humidity.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use the one Jaguar linked to! Agreed, you have to cover up the holes, but I usually drape a towel across the holes, and am thinking of taking a strip of cloth and finding a way to attach it to the door to make a permanent solution to covering those holes.

I've kept Schubert in his travel cage for two nights at the longest, but with the top being solid plastic, it keeps things nice and sheltered for a tiel. The bottom sits low beneath the bottom of the bars, so it could be possible to put a safe heating pad in there with a towel on top to keep it from being too hot. However, I agree with Jaguar that the best "sick cage" for a bird would probably be an aquarium with a mesh top. If a bird is ill or extremely frightened, the lack of bars in an aquarium will help prevent further injury.

If you are interested, I could take pictures of different viewpoints you may want to see of Schubert's travel cage in the next few days

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I'm transporting Kirby just in general, I just use a small cat carrier, as I can put some towels in there for him to sit on and he can't escape.

I also agree with the previous replies to use an aquarium with a mesh top for a sick bird. Just make sure that he has enough room to turn around in it.

Also, I disagree that, when transporting a bird, you can have something with perches on it. If a bird is up on a perch, and you have to break suddenly or hit a bump/dip, the bird could fall off of the perch and hurt itself. I think it's better to give them something where they're sitting on the ground, but won't necessarily slide around either (I put towels in Kirby's carrier so that he can grip them and not slide around while I'm driving). This is just my opinion, though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts