Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am looking for some constructive input on what visual mate I should look for in order to get a variety of healthy and happy chicks from my male whiteface.

Opie is 2 years old and very interested in breeding with his favorite toys and another, female cockatiel I have. However, the female is also a whiteface pied, so I don't know that their chicks would be healthy because they are so similar. She is also much more interested in human companionship than bird friends. So she ignores him. Poor guy.

I want healthy chicks who can be whitefaced or any other mutation other than normal grey. Thanks for any input! Opie's pictures are below... :wf pied:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A split white face split pied might be a good choice. Other sex linked mutations may be present in a hen for a pairing like this as well.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
He is split to cinnamon as well by the looks of his iris . I would look for a cinnamon female split to pied and whiteface . He is very handsome too so I bet any mutation you put him with would have some cute babies :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Whitefaces tend to produce stunning colour variations, regardless of the second bird's mutation. Whiteface x Lutino produces albinos, for example! Cinnamon pearl whitefaces are absolutely gorgeous, in my opinion :D Good luck!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not all white face and lutino pairings produce albinos.

A lutino hen with no splits and a white face male with no splits will only produce normal chicks. For best results, you want to pair a split mutation bird with a visual. Not visual to visual (increases the incidence of genetic faults) or non carrier to non carrier (makes all the offspring normal grey).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pastel or Yellow Cheek??

In looking, I found this bird who is a great variance from any whiteface, but from what I understand, it must carry a whiteface gene to have a pastel or yellow cheek patch.

Is this a PASTEL or YELLOW cheeked tiel?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
With the lighting in the pic it looks like a yellow cheek pearl to me but if the lighting was better I could tell better if it was a yellowcheek or pastelface

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not all white face and lutino pairings produce albinos.

A lutino hen with no splits and a white face male with no splits will only produce normal chicks. For best results, you want to pair a split mutation bird with a visual. Not visual to visual (increases the incidence of genetic faults) or non carrier to non carrier (makes all the offspring normal grey).
Ah, sorry! I'm not well informed on cockatiel mutations... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts