Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Best female for a common grey male

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  MAdil 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I have a common grey male and I don't know about if it is a split to any other or not. I was wondering what would be the best hen for him to breed with. A picture of my male is attached. I was pairing him to whiteface pearl, if so what babies can I expect?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That is actually a normal grey, not a cinnamon. Cinnamons are much lighter and have a brownish wash to their feathers. What mutations were you looking for? That's usually why most people breed their birds; for the various mutations. Since he is a normal grey, it would be hard to find a certain mutation to pair him with since you can't see his splits. For example, if you wanted cinnamon cockatiels, you could pair him with a cinnamon female and then you would have to see if any cinnamons come out. If so, then your male is split to cinnamon; if not, then he isn't. The nice thing though is finding out what other mutations he is split to. I just found out that my normal grey male is split to lutino by pairing him with my female lutino. He has had other mates before but has never had a lutino chick until now so the female can make a difference, too. The first picture is of my normal grey with my cinnamon pied female. The second is my cinnamon pearl.
Bird Cockatiel Wood Beak Feather
Bird Beak Wood Flooring Feather

#4 · (Edited)
That is actually a normal grey, not a cinnamon. Cinnamons are much lighter and have a brownish wash to their feathers. What mutations were you looking for? That's usually why most people breed their birds; for the various mutations. Since he is a normal grey, it would be hard to find a certain mutation to pair him with since you can't see his splits. For example, if you wanted cinnamon cockatiels, you could pair him with a cinnamon female and then you would have to see if any cinnamons come out. If so, then your male is split to cinnamon; if not, then he isn't. The nice thing though is finding out what other mutations he is split to. I just found out that my normal grey male is split to lutino by pairing him with my female lutino. He has had other mates before but has never had a lutino chick until now so the female can make a difference, too. The first picture is of my normal grey with my cinnamon pied female. The second is my cinnamon pearl. View attachment 95730 View attachment 95731
I was thinking to pair it with eno female (full white one) or maybe whiteface pearl. Could you tell what will be possible outcomes if I pair with WF pearl. What if I need pieds then what mutation should be the hen?

#5 ·
So, if you want to pair him with a lutino, it will be obvious whether or not he is split to lutino or not. Since lutino is sex-linked, you will only get Lutinos if he is split. If you pair him with a whiteface pearl, you'd only get normal greys split to whiteface and all males will be split to pearl. The only way you can get whiteface pearls or whitefaces or pearls is if he is once again split to whiteface and pearl. If you want pieds, then you would have to pair him to a pied hen or a split to pied hen. Pied is recessive so both have to be visual or split pied. Would you be able to get a better picture of his head. Usually, you can tell whether a bird is split to pied by the yellow or white spots on the back of the neck/head. In the first picture, that is my normal grey male spit to pied. You can see the spots on the back of his head. In the second picture, that is his daughter (a normal grey split to pied). She has more spots on the back. It varies so if your male has anything like what mine have, he is split to pied then.
Bird Cockatiel Parrot Beak Bird supply
african grey Bird Parrot Wood Beak

#7 ·
Actually, all chicks (both male and female) would be split to whiteface and all male chicks would be split to pearl. Females can’t be split to pearl. That would only be if your male isn’t split to whiteface and/or pearl. If he’s split to whiteface and paired with a whiteface pearl hen, then you’d get whiteface males split to pearl and whiteface females. You would also get normal grey males split to whiteface and pearl and normal grey females split to whiteface. If he’s split to pearl as well as whiteface, then you could get pearls, whiteface pearls, whitefaces, and normal greys. It’s a little hard to tell in the picture, but he looks like he might have a halo which means he might be split to whiteface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.