Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Yesterday I got Sunny out for his fly. I had just finished dinner and had left a bowl on the table. I had heard that it was ok for them to eat yogurt occasionally because it didn't have lactose. So when he sat on the bowl with yogurt in it I let him have a few beakfuls. Today I left a plate where I'd been eating soft goats cheese on it and it had a tiny spec on it. It didn't really register at the time that he shouldn't get that (probably because it was white like the yogurt) and he only had a small amount before I washed up.

He started sqwaking a bit and being naughty so I put him in his cage - discipline has been a bit of a problem lately. Just before I went to take him out he went to the toilet and then I heard something fall. When I looked on the newspaper it was like a blob of soft red mush with seeds in it (he gets red pellets). He seems a bit listless at first but he does seems to be getting better. We're going to the vets tomorrow - but is there I can do to help him tonight?

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh dear! I'm not sure what you can do other than keep him nice and warm with his food and water nearby. I do hope he carries on improving! Best wishes xxx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Charlotte and Tama. The vet didn't think it was regurgitation and couldn't feel a lump or anything stuck in his throat and didn't recommend treatment at this stage. But she checked his weight, heart and lungs which were all fine. He got really stressed out by the examination, worse than what he was originally. He was quite tired but hopefully he'll sleep it off tonight. Thanks again

Carol

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great news Carol! Glad the vet didn't find any problems. I've been a few times and been told all is well. It's still worth it for the peace of mind :) I'm sure he will bounce back from the stress after a good night's sleep. x

·
Registered
246 Posts
Peppy was sick yesterday after bingeing on mashed potato which she loves. She is sitting on eggs again and not eating properly but this is off the menu for a while now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today Sunny has been a bit brighter although he's been quite quiet. H found the visit to the vet very traumatic. I will definitely ask sure all dishes are clearer away from now on. Hope Peppy feels better soon. Thanks Everyone for all your help.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Glad Sunny is feeling better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts