Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I have no idea what forum to post this in!

I've had my male cockatiel about 6 months now and he is around 9-10 months old but he just doesn't like me, or heck doesn't like anyone at all. All he seems to do is hiss at me, I go to open his cage to let him out and he sways side to side while hissing at me with his wings out, he'll hiss at me if I go to replace his food or water, if you walk up to his cage he scatters terrified, he'll hiss at me if I try to help him around (he hurt his wing recently but is doing fine), he'll hiss at me if I put my hands anywhere near him, heck he straight up bit me a few days ago and honestly I'm getting tired of it, I've tried everything from millet training to hand feeding and I'm getting squat out of it. He doesn't like my budgies either, he'll go to peck them if they get too close but I can at least understand that since the budgies get on my nerves at times too.

I know it takes a long time to train or tame a bird and I 100% understand that, it took me 2-3 months to get my budgies used to my hands despite them being parent-reared but I kept at it confidently, but it seems like he just has behavioural problems but I don't know why he would since he was a baby when I got him from a pet store with a very good reputation. He hates being covered at nights and tries to attack the night blanket by biting and hissing, and he's terrified of the colour red for god knows what reason, he'll back away immediately and turn his back if you wear red and refuses to even eat anything red too. Every day he sends our progress two steps back because he just doesn't trust anyone, he never wants to spend time with me or any of my other birds and the only thing he's interested in is chewing up the wires on my desk or pulling threads out of my clothes.

Don't get me wrong I love the guy, he's beautiful and very cute, but I'm at the end of my rope and I'm finding it hard to enjoy being around him at all when he treats me so nasty all the time. I don't pull away when he hisses or bites but I'm worried he'll learn to draw blood and I don't want him hurting people or my other birds. He doesn't straight out go to attack them, he'll only go to peck when they bother him, but he's much bigger than the other birds are at least and I've felt his bites in comparison to budgie bites and they are not nice.

I've been considering rehoming him because I just don't think I have what it takes, or even the straight up EXPERIENCE to care for a bird with behavioural problems! I've never had to care for one in my life and I'm still really really new to birds so I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would rehoming him be better for him? I feel like I know nothing about him despite how long I've had him now. If anyone else has been through the same thing please feel free to share I could do with some reassurance :confused:

Also, please don't suggest I put him in his cage as a time out when he bites or hisses because he's not hand tame and there's NO way I'd get him in there without making him hate me more from chasing him around!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aww bless you and him, this sounds like a very stressful situation! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of advice for you other than don't wear red!!!! ;)

He sounds like a cheeky character for sure, i don't know a lot about birdie behaviour but they are all different and I once had a very tame make cockatiel who turned into the hulk once I got him a lady friend. Also he hated hated hated patterns on my clothes so I just had to keep it very simple or he would go crazzzzyyy!! :)

Maybe he's a very scared birdie and would benefit from female cockatiel to keep him company? Maybe he would prefer the company of his own kind.

You have probably already tried this but just incase...

Have you tried tempting him with millet? I think if I was you I would start back at the beginning and begin by keeping him in his cage (put millet in so he can learn how tasty it is) and talking calmly and just being by his cage, then when he is calm with that and calm with you approaching then raise your hand to the cage and progress slowly, never pushing and being patient as you did with your budgies. Maybe play soft music whenever you're by his cage so he doesn't feel any danger in the silence.

I guess if you feel like rehoming him is the best thing for you all you can do is be sure you do your best to find him a forever home as he may find the change stressful.

I hope you get some advice on here soon from more experienced owners but for now I would say just give him lots of love and treats, he can't help how he is and he does sound like a real character :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Despite the fact that the pet store had a good reputation, it sounds to me like he was mistreated. Especially when you say that he's afraid of the color red. I work at a bird rescue in Peoria, AZ, and the behaviors that you mentioned sound a LOT like some of the mistreated birds that we rescue.

If I'm right, it's going to take awhile to regain his trust, and then to train him from there. I don't know if the normal taming process will do it, or if it will if it will take longer. But, if you don't feel confident that you can handle him, then I would rehome him. It'd be better to find him a good home with an owner that is confident in their ability to tame and train him than to try to do it yourself. However, that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am certainly no expert but I have an idea.

Can you leave him in his cage and just leave him alone?

Give him food and water but otherwise just let him be. And don't cover him if he doesn't like it and you don't have to (my bird hates it too).

I think after a while he will let you know when he is ready for some interaction.

This worked for me, but I didn't do it on purpose. Because he seemed so scared at first, I was afraid to let him out. I don't remember how long it took, but eventually he made it obvious that he wanted out (he seemed to be calmer too). So I let him out. It still took a bit longer to become friends but at least we were on our way.

What ever you decide, I wish you both the best of luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
All the birds are different, but mine even he's hand tame, he doesn't like to be touched. Take your time, leave him be... and maybe one day you get a surprise of him approaching you!

Or if you don't feel good anymore we the situation, re home him with a more experienced person and you both will feel better.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If I remember correctly, red is a sign of danger and A LOT of birds don't like it. Heck, some birds don't like hats or gloves or whatnot.

It's going to take time and patience and understanding. And not every bird is going to want to become buddies. Some birds are better off just being left alone. It's up to you to decide whether this is the kind of bird you want to work with. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=33824 this sticky talks about working with aggressive birds. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I have one red shirt Joey seems terrified of. The shirt is red, and the picture is one of those that doesn't make sense unless you stand back and then you can see George Best's face. I suppose it is a sort of an abstract picture. Something about it does not sit well with him at all. Hubs and I both have other red shirts he is fine with. I have stopped wearing the shirt because it is only one specific shirt causing the problem.

Joey went through a huge hissing phase around 9 months to a year old. Every little thing set him off. Bedtime annoyed him to no end, we got near him he hissed, we walked by, yep, hiss. Hissed at his food, his water, his toys, the air around him.... king of the grouchy people. During that time he'd nip at us, but not bite. He seemed to work through it, so we chalked it up to his first bout of hormones, or the equivalent of the 'terrible twos'.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I agree with lunawolfsong. Theres a chance that your bird was mistreated His behaviour is vety similar to our Maxwell s who also came from a reputable pet store chain. He was certainly grabbed many times in and out of aviaries/cages , so much so that he hates hands/ arms. Hes been with us for nearly three years now -At first he would shake in fear if wed approach him Now, after all this time he doesnt shake anymore and very rarely will sit on my head He just recently started to let me kiss the top of his crest and apparently likes my voice when I talk to him in a low, sweet voice. This is to show you that it can be a long process We still have a long way to go , because there are many times when he still hisses at me but never bit us. He flies away instead, which reinforces the idea that he was surely mistreated. On the bright side -seventeen months ago, both Maxwell and our Frances managed to have a chick and he was an excellent , very zealous dad, always feeding our Baby chick.I agree with the others -it will require a lot of love and patience - forget how many months every bird has got its own time just like us . In the meantime if you are lucky to find an experienced owner that will be happy and ready to offer him a forever loving home then this is the way to deal with the situation but always remembering that the his comfort should come first. All the best X x Teresa

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
He sounds cage territorial to me. Have you tried working with him in another room? You may need to have the cage out of his site while you're trying to tame him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts