Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 2 weeks ago I posted on the Health section that my bird Cookie (female) was hospitalized. She had an infection in her reproductive tract (uterus, maybe?) which the vet believed was caused by an egg that she was trying to lay. The egg came out very abnormal - shriveled with a sticky/soft shell. She was on antibiotics and pain killers for a few days, and the vet also gave her a shot of birth control which was supposed to last for 2 weeks. She is home now, seems to have healed, and is back to normal.

It hasn't even been 2 weeks since this all happened, and Cookie is showing signs of egg laying again. She always tries to rub her tail on her food bowl, has been super active looking for dark spots around the house, and did her mating call twice today. She looks at me and starts her mating call. When I go away she stops, and when I come back she begins it again. I ignore it. The vet thinks that she is extremely attached to me and that is why she wants to lay eggs. She instructed me to limit contact with Cookie (no petting, no sitting on shoulder) but that I could still take her around the house with me on my hand. I am doing all this.

Here are the steps that I've taken to address the issue, based on my vet's recommendation:
- Got a second cage for Cookie (one for nighttime and one for daytime. The new one is for daytime so she's in a new environment)
- Got her new food bowls (she still tries to rub her tail on them)
- Made a foraging toy for her (she completely ignored it)
- Bought a clicker to start training Cookie (working on it, she doesn't seem to understand it yet)
- No more petting, sitting on my shoulder, although I do allow her to take a nap on my lap when I'm on the computer.
- I put her on long night treatments

What else can I do? I should also mention that she is out of the cage 90% of the time as I am having a baby in a few weeks and am no longer working. I am thinking about establishing a schedule for Cookie where she is locked up for half of the day and out of the cage for the other half. That way she would be more independent of me.

Any advice? She can't lay any more eggs because her infection might come back.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You're doing so many good things for her - I hope the egg laying stops. The only thought I have is to ask if there's anything she has access to that she can crawl into, under, or behind, whether it's in her cages or not? My Puff used to start laying eggs if she climbed even once into an empty paper bag, or a tissue box that was still in use - if it even very remotely resembled a nesting cavity (which is what wild cockatiels use), she would find it, get into it, and start her egg laying routine a few days later. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Are you putting the sleeping cage in a totally dark room for at least twelve hours every night? This might help immensely. When I say totally dark I mean a room with NO light whatsoever, from windows or anything. I had to buy black curtains for my bird room for this to work well for me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TielBob- she doesn't have access to any of those things. She tries to get into furniture, but I remove her immediately.

Roxy Culver- yes her cage is in a dark room and it's covered, although I think she can still see some light from other rooms. It's not completely quiet either. She is sleeping in the living room, and although no one goes in there after I put her to bed, I am sure she can hear noises from around the house until we all go to bed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to the vet and she thinks the main problem is still Cookie's attachment to me. I will have to lock her up for about half of the day, minimize our interactions, and can only carry her around the house with me if there is a separate place for Cookie to stay at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts