Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 12/13 week old cockatiel. I was told by the guy at the aviary that he was not hand reared and would take time to get to know me etc. (I say he automatically. Don’t actually know the gender yet)
He has come along really well. He is a lot friendlier. I am not able to handle him quite yet but I am really close. He lets me give him pets through the cage.
One thing, however, is that he makes the baby begging noise a lot. At the moment, every time I go up to the cage he starts the begging call. I give him food and he continues to beg while eating.
He seems to be eating fine. He is always walking around pecking at the seeds and will eat the seeds I give him. He goes crazy for millet spray. But he will scream the begging call for like 2 full minutes after he has his food before he goes quiet again. I’m just not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
If your bird was NOT hand raised, I'd say you got very lucky to have a little guy that's already that friendly! If in fact you are wanting an easy bird to work with as it get's older, I'd say keep doing just as you are. Spend as much time talking and just being with him as you can. If he's already allowing scratches thru the bars, That's excellent progress!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your bird was NOT hand raised, I'd say you got very lucky to have a little guy that's already that friendly! If in fact you are wanting an easy bird to work with as it get's older, I'd say keep doing just as you are. Spend as much time talking and just being with him as you can. If he's already allowing scratches thru the bars, That's excellent progress!!
I am so pleased with how he’s coming along. Is it okay that he is begging a lot? I thought at first he was angry with me and that’s what the noise was but he still comes over to me and if my hand is in there he sometimes walks over it or investigates it while making the noise. So I don’t think he’s angry I’m there. I’m just not sure what he’s thinking

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
If it's the kind of noise I THINK it is and one that will drive you mad if you hear it long enough, ALL baby & young cockatiels make that noise. Thankfully it will pass with time and if it turns out to be a male, he will start chirping and chattering a lot more. I really don't think it's anything at all to worry about, just continue on as you are work with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's the kind of noise I THINK it is and one that will drive you mad if you hear it long enough, ALL baby & young cockatiels make that noise. Thankfully it will pass with time and if it turns out to be a male, he will start chirping and chattering a lot more. I really don't think it's anything at all to worry about, just continue on as you are work with him.
Thank you. He’s very sweet and the noise doesn’t bother me really. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making him angry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts